Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get mold out of my wall?

I shouldn't have to do this. I just moved into this new house and there's mold growing behind the fridge. I wouldn't even have known it was there but my friend that was helping me move paints houses and does repairs like that. I told the landlord about it and some other problems and they had someone come out and fix my sink and he looked at the mold. He said that it's not a current leak but never said whether or not he's going to come back and fix it. According to my friend it might take two days and he'd have to scheduale an appointment. They will fix this. I'm not living with mold in my house but it's going to take a sheetrock repair for it to be all gone. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I know it's not that bad now but it's making my skin crawl just thinking about it.

Answer Question

Asked by SaraP1989 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 14 (1,621 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I personally wouldn't touch it because you may get in trouble with your landlord.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • I would suggest directly asking the person you rent from what their plan of action is to rid the mold. Generally you have to replace the wall, mold is not something to mess with. If they do not act properly contact the local health department. We had a small spot of mold in our bathroom and we replaced every wall in there. I again say MAKE your landlord get off their tail and fix the problem.

    Answer by ronjwake at 1:29 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • Tell the landlord it needs to be fixed or you will have no choice but to call the housing authority. You should not have to live with mold. It can be dangerous.

    Answer by Whatkids at 3:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • Cover it with heavy-duty plastic and keep it there with duct tape until your landlord fixes it. Be sure to let him know you did this so you can prevent the mold spores from being in the home and causing respiratory problems. Also, push him for a date to come fix it and don't let him tell you "soon" or "in a month or so." You tell him within 2 weeks or you will call a local mold removal company who will come in, test not only the mold, but also the air in the home, and then remove the mold in the manner they think is best. If he is smart, he will be there within 2 weeks because those companies charge thousands of dollars.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • One more note: After he fixes it and the mold reappears, that means that the mold has grown onto the studs in the walls themselves and they will either need to be treated or replaced. Keep the fridge about 4 inches away from the wall and keep the back of it vacummed and clean. There is also a drip pan underneath the fridge that you can access from either the front or the back - remove it and clean it and treat it to a bleach spray before placing it back. At least this way, the landlord cannot blame your negligence on the fridge for causing mold on the wall if it comes back.
    Best wishes.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • You landlord must be a dickhead not to act on this immediately. Any health hazard is a liability to the owners. I would first off take pictures to document that it was there and an existing condition, nothing caused by you. Usually where there is mold there is either water or moisture. The proper way to treat it is to remove the molded sheetrock, inspect for moisture and repair if there is, spray the studs with a mildewcide or bleach water solution, let it air out for 48 hours, then replace the sheetrock.

    If there are any other signs of mold in the house I would request that the landlord get a contractor in there to perform an air quality test. I'd let my landlord know I'm not going to pay to stay in a house that has mold present.

    Answer by momtotrips at 8:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.