Looking to buy our 1st house tips?

We know the basics, no cracks anywhere, strong foundation and the endless things to keep an eye out for, we were thinking of hiring a real estate guide or advisor but the last one was a moron. I had my dad correct him on 2 houses (via flip recorder) and after that we fired him. So im wary now. I like open kitchens with a bar *so people can sit and chat while i cook and i LOVE an open floorplan, but

What about your house that you own/rent do you LOVE? And what can you not stand?

Are the rooms too small? Does your bathroom have you cramped? Do you have too much kitchen?

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 1:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well, we bought our house in 2008 and waaay overpaid. Our house will probably never gain back its value, not even in 30 years, so we're probably going to walk-away (we can afford it, no prob. we're just sitting on a very bad investment). Since the market has pretty much bottomed out I don't think you need to worry about that (lucky you). You will have someone who has to look over the house before it goes in escrow, so you should catch any huge errors then. I'd say look at things like lighting (we do not get enough natural light in our house), storage (a big one), yard, any HOA fees, neighborhood ( a big one, make sure it's safe enough!), structural things, and room for expansion, you never know when you may have another kid!!! I wish we had a bigger yard, bigger living room, and double sinks in the bathroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Pay to have your own inspection done. We relied on the FHA inspection report & while they did find some things wrong & had them correct those, there were other things we found out later that only came out after living there a while. I really think if we had paid for an inspection we would have probably passed the house up & found something better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I wished we had chose a house where there was a sidewalk on our side. Our subdivision only put sidewalks on one side of the street. Now my kids have to go across the street to ride their bikes or skate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Hire a contractor to look at the house. They can tell you exactly what is wrong with it.
    As far as my home, I love my home. We have remodeled just the entire home to our taste. I tend to change things up every few months, I love to mix things up.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2010