women unclean after childbirth

Why were women unclean after childbirth? Why longer unclean period with girls? It's been proven with science that we are more susceptible to diseases longer with girls after birth but are we still to adhere to this?

I'm no Angel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• WTF?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i heard of that but i don't know all the details.....
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• well, after birth I took a shower... I was clean after that... LOL

but seriously, my GUESS would be that it goes back to childbirth and periods being woman's punishment for Eve eating the fruit of knowledge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• read the OT it speaks of this

I'm no Angel
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• WTF are you talking about?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• what book does it talk about it?
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• hubby just told me somewhere in Leviticus...

BTW I'm the one that said the the thing about Eve

OK so his reasoning is that you're bleeding (I bleed for about 5-6 weeks after the birth so the 40 days sounds about right)
    bleeding = unclean
    and back in those times, yes bleeding was very unclean, it's not like that had clean sanitary pads to change every hour or two.

as for the 40 vs 80 days. That was due to women being inferior to men (because of Eve) so a girl meant it lasts longer.

Part makes sense to me as for the unclean, but the 40 vs 80 days is just silly IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• and please forgive my seriously dumbed down version LOL that's just how hubby explained it to me. He knows I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of the bible word for word or anything, just basics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It was a loving provision. We are more suseptible to infection during those times and remember these people were living in the wilderness with little opportunity to bathe in clean water. These 'unclean' days allowed our own bodies to heal and defend us. Scientists have found this to be true too. We have a vertible eco-system down there!
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 6:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• its in Leviticus 12 (the whole chapter).

i think the 40 days of uncleanness was for health purposes. werent we all told not to have sex for 4-6 weeks so your body could heal (and bleed)? this was probably a way for women to lawfully not have to have sex w/ their husbands. but they didnt know it was for health, they just knew that blood was unclean in animals, why not women (since thats how they saw us).

i dont understand the difference in days btw having a boy or girl. but my real problem is that the women had to make a sin offering once she was clean along w/ a burnt offering (for praise i assume). is the sin offering b/c she had sex? or b/c she was a reminder of the curse of Eve?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010