Why didn't Jesus' deciples recognize him after he rose?

Mark 16:12-13

Why didn't his disciples recognize him after he rose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here is the verse that talks about how messed up He was at the crucifixion. These are Old Testament prophesies of the torture Messiah would endure.

"Just as there were many who were appalled at him*— his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness—" Isaiah 52:14

"I gave My back to those who struck [Me], And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting." Isaiah 50:6
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Jesus appeared to his disciples on various occasions in different fleshly bodies.
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 5:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Its difficult to use the passage you list because I believe different Bible translations differ on this. In the Catholic Bible version there is only two instance were disciples did not recognize Jesus right away is in Luke 24 13-35. Two disciples on their way to the village of Emaus saw Jesus but were kept from recognizing him until he told them of how the OT prophecy was fulfilled. In John 21:1-14 the disciples were fishing and were not close to Jesus when he first appeared.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• because he was in a new body - physically, except he still had the holes in his hands. Plus they couldn't even phatham it was Him!
    Anonymous

• We know Jesus had the same physical body, because he had the scars. He had not yet risen and recieved His glorified body. In Isaiah it says that Jesus' physical appearance was marred to the point that we could barely recognize He was human as He was tortured. His beard was torn out, he had scars all over him.

He did not look like he did before His crucifixion.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2010