Allergies or what?

My son (almost 3) isn't allergic to anything..well that we know of. Starting this past Sunday night, his cheeks are RED. like bright red..i thought well maybe the icing from a cupcake stained it or irritated it. Took a bath, went to bed the next morning they're were still red! not as red, but still they were tinted red. Well day goes by and they're still red..they get even redder as he gets warmer, and theyll go almost away to a light pink, but still won't fully go away. this has never happend before to him or my other son.. i havent changed anything..same foods, same fabric softner and laundry detergent.. They're really warm on his cheeks but his body isn't hot and he doesn't have a fever.. What could this be?? I'm calling the doctor tomorrow to see about it, but i was jw if this has ever happend to anyone else?

Bran6903

Asked by Bran6903 at 2:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Health

• He could have rosacea, but he might just flush easily.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• could be fifths disease which is just a virus that you have to let run it's course. starting symptom is red cheeks, that's why it's also known as "slapped cheek disease"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i dont think its rosacea, it's never come out or around before. .. Anon- i googled fifth disease, and that's exaclty what it looks like. How does one get this?? other kids or something? he doesnt go to school but he goes out to walmart and everywhere with me and he goes to thenursery at church.. Also, never got the rash over his body, just the red red cheeks. makes me nervous now i know what it could be!..im still googling
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 2:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• it's just a virus, caught same as you get a cold. easily passed between kids (my guess is the nursery at church) their kid probably had a cough or fever, got over it, parent sent them to nursery without even thinking anything was still there.
    just wait it out at this point
    and sorry, was mistaken, the rash is the last part of the virus.

only warning I can give you is that fifths disease is very bad for pregnant women to catch! can cause miscarriage/still born! so if you know anyone he's been around that is pregnant, you may want to warn them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2010