Should I let my 12 year old get her cartilage pierced?

Should I let my twelve year old get the top of her ear pierced? She is turning 13 in June.

NatiMarti

Asked by NatiMarti at 3:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 2 (-27 Credits)
  • i think that you should let your daughter do get her pierced, becase like other moms said it's a way to expresse her self and if you do not let her, when she get the age of 18 she will do it, not because she want to but because she was forbiten to do it!
    but if you let her you could say to her the risck of doing the piercing and you could even tell her that when she grow up and want to get a job the piercing will give her a bad presentation of her.
    kiss from a portugal muslim.
    betinha

Answer by betinha at 5:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• That is a personnal preference decision. If she wants to get it peirced and you if dont have any problems with it, let her. Its her way of expressing who she is. I mean I would allow her to get huge holes in her ear but something simple like that I dont think it would be distasteful...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i think its a way for her to express who she is but i wouldnt allow nothing huge or anything simple is good!!! but you should really talk to her about whether its really something she wants... i just got mine done at the beginning of december and i took it out last week it was painful and hard to sleep with it take a really long time to heal... if she does decided to get it done go with a needle not a gunna it can shatter her cartlige thats what happened to mine.
    butter_fly89

Answer by butter_fly89 at 3:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yes it is a great form of expression and a great way for building trust between you. Word of advice don't let some teeny bopper do it at claires I had mine done like that and it NEVER healed right I took it out 4 years later because it still hurt. Do research on placement and stuff like that so it will heal. Tattoo shops that do piercing usually do a better job with cartilage than accessory shops.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My mom let me. Within 3-4 years, I had my fun and took it out. I don't see any harm in it. We did have an "ears only" rule in the house though.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If you want to, then let her. Just a word of caution, these type of piercings take a lot more cleaning than normal ones. I had mine done and it got infected because I didn't take care of it. I ended up having to take it out. Then I decided to do the other side and that one got infected to. She has to be really diligent about it. I was early teens when I had it done.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2010