who is right me or dh?

My 3 1/2 year old dd fell today and knocked out her front tooth, apperantly they wont do anything to replace the tooth we just have to wait for the permanant tooth to come in when she is like 5 or 6. I don't think its a big deal...I think its kinda cute...but, dh is freaking out saying that she is gonna look wierd in all of her pictures for the next 3 years and that he feels like a terrible parent because this shouldn't have happened. Kids get hurt! she fell off her trike..no big deal right? we take her to the dentist to make sure it doesn't get infected and the new tooth will come in just fine...no problem...right? Is he overreacting or am i being too calm? How would you respond?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think its fine. The dentist already said theres nothing he can do, so why is your husband worrying? Kids fall and get hurt, no big deal. My nephew just got his third set of stitches and hes only 4! He fell off his scooter, jumped off his bed smacking his head onto his brothers bed, then just two weeks ago slipping on icy steps while his hands were in his pockets and cutting his lip open. I had a tooth knocked out whil roller blading once, and had to wait for my tooth to come back in too. Hes a daddy and his little girl is hurt, its normal for him to over react. I think your both right in your own ways.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I am on your side. He is freaking out over nothing. Now if it would have been a perment tooth. That would be a different subject. Diesn't he relize that when she get a few years older that all her teethe will be falling out and all her picture will look funny anyways.

Answer by louise2 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Did you take her into the dentist to make sure there isn't anything they can do? Because one of the things the baby teeth do is act as a "spacer" for the adult teeth, and some other stuff, but I can't remember what all it is right now.

But, as long as you've taken her into the dentist and he/she said that it's fine, then honestly, it's fine. Trust me, you (well, he) might think that her pictures look bad for the next 3 yrs, but when she's older, you're going to look at them differently, and as a reminder of that time in her life - when she didn't have her tooth because she wrecked her tricycle.

I have many pictures like that - my dd basically bald after she and my ds cut ALL (like down to the scalp) hair off, or when my ds knocked his tooth out (he was 5 at the time). I was upset at the time, but looking back at them, it's just another sweet / funny reminder of their early childhood. (they're almost adults now)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• He is being stupid who cares if she looks different, as long as the dentist checked her out and did what needs to be done he needs to get over it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My daughter did the same thing when she was 2 1/2, he' ll get used to it
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You both are reacting normally. Did he go to the dentist with you? If not, he's probably more worried because he didn't actually HEAR the expert. You did, so your worries have been soothed. My husband was the same way until I flat out told him he could come with me, call the doctor himself, or take my word that the doctor said what he said. Just do your best to reassure your husband that your daughter is going to be all right, that she's safe and healthy and beautiful and loved just the way she is.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• im on your side.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My dh was like yours. Would freak out over accidents. Like they SHOULDN'T have happened. Life happens, accidents happen. Although it's unfortunate, I'm w/you. It's just a tooth and another one will take it's place eventually. I've learned that in life, "don't sweat the small stuff". It could've been MUCH worse!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 7:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My daughter had to get her two front teeth pulled when she was 3. I was freaked out because I thought it would effect her speech, they way people look at her etc. But I was wrong... it was ME that needed getting used to it. The dentist did all they could to save her teeth, but in the end they had to go and lil kids don't get spacers, etc. My daughter is great, speaks just fine, and cute as can be.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 7:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I would be upset and I think it would really suck, but what are you going to do about it? Kids fall all the time, not because it's our fault, but because they are kids and that's normal. Your LO was just unlucky that when she fell she knocked out her tooth. No point in blaming yourselves. My kids have had their fair share of falls and accidents.

She will still be the same, cute little girl she was before she lost her tooth.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2010