How can I get my 15 year old son to settle down and work with me?

My son has become very insolent at home and at school! Last week I had to give him a slap to get him to be respectful in front of his friends. This is the first I have had to do. We live at home with my parents and another of my siblings who hates the fact that I have moved back home. My sibling is 50 years old and has never moved out and she is angry with the world. Both she and her daughter bully my parents around. I am just making enough to send him to school...and pay bills. His father left when he was 4 to go to the US.and he has since married and has 3 more. He has not spoken to me for years and does not support our son except to send him expensive sneakers and clothes occasionally. My son wants to go live with him despite all my sacrifices for him. I feel he does not appreciate what I do as he keeps demanding more of me. I love him very much but I have had to stop most of his privileges! I need some HELP!

coffeeandsugar

Asked by coffeeandsugar at 6:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You need to go to family counseling and separate counseling to figure out what is really going on.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Sounds like he is testing his boundaries, just like all teenagers do. If he wants to go live with Dad, let him - it's a good chance for him to learn that the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but you still have to mow it. Teenagers don't appreciate their parents' sacrifices until they are in their twenties and have kids of their own.
    As for the bullying siblings - If I caught my sibs or their children mouthing off to my parents I would slap them silly. Seriously. I let no one bully my parents, I don't care who they are. It could be that your son sees them do this and thinks that it's OK since no one stops it. At 50 yearsold, your sister should know better, or at least understand what comes around, goes around.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2010