did you smoke while you were pregnant?

If you quit, how did you do it? I have been trying to quit but I just can't seem to put them down. I know it's bad for the baby but I have to have them! No bashers please! Just honest answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I LOVED to smoke but gave it up when I found out I was pregnant. Yes I did slip up a few times, but by 4th month I was smoke free. I just imagined putting a cigarette in my baby's mouth and that image doesnt make sense to me. Also its easier to breathe, what with carrying all the extra weight around.
    philsmom977

Answer by philsmom977 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i smoke when i was pregnant but not that much my daughter was 7lbs 13 oz and yes i wish i did quit but the doctor told me it would be harder on her if i did quit cold turkey so he told me only have one day
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• No. I smoked for a year my senior yr of HS but quit. I just put them down one day and never got more. Talk to your doctor. I'm sure they will give you advice on quitting.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i did smoke during my pregnancy my doctor told me the worse that can really happen is low birth weight and most doctors will tell you that quitting cold turkey will put your body in a state of shock just like people that switch their diets over to all healthy things when they had just been eatting junk food till they got pregnant it puts your body in a state of shock it has no idea whats going on it's not smart to do all these things at once if you cut back slowly and eventually quit then that works but dont do it all at once, my ds came out 7lbs 3oz 9 days early and is a healthy 18lbs at 4 1/2 months old :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I didn't. I WANTED to, SOOO bad, but I had to make a choice. Who is more important? My need for a cig or my baby's health? That's an easy choice.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 8:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I smoked w/ both pregnancies. My son was 7 12 and my daughter was 8 3. It was hard for me to quit, but I did cut back, not as much as I wanted to but still did some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• None of this is meant to be mean or bash! I smoked a pack & 1/2 a day until I found out I was pregnant. Smoking is one of the hardest habits to break, they've done studies outa UCLA that prove nicotine is more addictive than heroin, not surprising you're having a hard time quitting. Most smokers quit 7 times before they stay w/ it. The thought of my little one being surrounded by all those toxic chemicals was more than I could bear. Imagine your baby floating in a cloud of smoke coughing & choking & trying to breath, imaging is a powerful tool, use your mind to help you quit. Say to yourself everytime you pick up a cigarette "If I smoke this I'm killing my baby" & then imagine your baby choking on the smoke. Know it may sound extreme but if you can convince yourself that its bad for you then your body won't want it. Your mind is a very powerful tool, use it in your favor to overcome this addiction. Good luck mamma!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I smoked (not a lot) with all 3 of my pregnancies. I had 3 wonderful deliveries and 3 healthy babies who are still healthy. I don't think it's great to smoke while preg. but I understand how hard it is. I finally quit 10 months ago with Chantix - my kids are 9, 7, and 4! If you cut down on cigs and eat really healthy and take care of yourself otherwise, you and baby should be fine. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• no the first time i found out i was preg i quit cold turkey and miscarried and i never picked them back up because i knew i wanted to try again and i wanted to be healthy for the next try. I chewed on sunflower seeds which helped a lot
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I smoked at least 2 packs a day before getting preggo - as soon as I found out I cut it to 1/2 a pack of less, and weened myself. I used freezie pops, I ate about a million freezie pops a day, but I stopped smoking doing that over the corse of a couple months and stayed smoke free most of the pregnancy.
    I know its hard, good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2010