My 2 month old has not pooped in over a day. Should I be concerned?

My daughter is fed formula and breastmilk. The formula seemed a bit strong for her system so the pedi suggested putting some karo syrup in the formula to possibly help move it through her bowels but she hasn't pooped in over a day.

She passes gas and only fusses if she is wet or hungry. She is a happy baby in every other aspect but we are patiently waiting for her to poop again. We won't be able to tell if this is her body adjusting to the formula or if this is constipation based on the color and consistency of the stool.

Should I be concerned that she hasn't pooped in over a day?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nope its normal- if she starts to be fussy, or look like she is trying to but cant and is in pain then call the doc, other wise give her another day :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i would just dip your finger in karo syrup and let her suck it off... that should do it :) It worked for me every time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Just the syrup alone? I thought by now it would have worked on her little system but it hasn't happened yet. I put about 2 tsp in a 6 oz bottle and have to say I thought I would have seen some result. But we are still waiting.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• heck, my son pooped every 4 or so days
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Stick with breastmilk, or it will dry up. It is not unusual for a breastfed baby to go more than a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• rkoloms~I would love to be able to strictly breastfeed however I don't have that great a supply. I just got back last week to work full time and given my current case load to investigate it's hard to fit in time to pump every 2 hours. I am increasing my water intake and nursing her when I am home through the evening and before I go to work.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• ohhh i wouldn't do karo syrup! too many questions about high fructose corn syrup to be putting that into babies! try another formula first. i was told that for breastfeeding babies, as long as they are still eating then it is ok. but i don't know if the same thing goes for formula fed babies. you could try bicycling her legs to try to get things moving. i had a baby in the nicu once, and a nurse took his knees and pressed them into his belly and he pooed!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• The karo syrup was suggested by her pediatrician who is head of pediatrics for the hospital. And I just got word that Emma finally had a bowel movement. Thank you ladies for your help.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2010