Are fleece blankets bad???

We use a fleece blanket for DS (2 months old) at night. He seems alright, but sometimes I worry whether he gets too hot or not. Is there any way to tell? Have you used a fleece blanket? I've heard not to use them, but he seems to like it because it's soft. Please offer your opinions...

jean_marie1987

Asked by jean_marie1987 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some people don't like them because they're soft/puffy and a suffocation hazard. I like them because they are warm. I used a fleece bag sleeper for my kids when they were that little, plus one of those tie fleece blankets - the double layer ones - and they were fine - but then again, I live in Iowa, and our temps sometimes don't get above zero! I only did it when it was really cold though. So it depends how warm you keep your house, what the weather is like outside, if your house is drafty, what kind of jammies baby has on...keep in mind too that supposedly, keeping a baby too warm at night can potentially lead to sids. So if you're worried baby's too warm, use a lighter blanket, or thin pajamas.
    Anonymous

• Babies under 12 months aren't supposed to use blankets at night because they are a SIDS risk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010