Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long should a microwave last?

We have had ours for almost 6 years and sometimes it makes things too hot or not warm at all. It used to be a very efficent microwave and is still working, just has times it dosen't warm food or drinks. I want to upgrade to an over the range microwave but can't seem to justify getting a new one when then other still has life left in it. How long have you had your mocrowave and when did you have to buy a new one?

 
AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 20 (8,472 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • We have had ours for 8 yrs and the plate in it does not turn any more. My hubby wants a new one for making nachos. I told him no because it still works and he can make naches in the oven.
    Raeann11

    Answer by Raeann11 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • Hi Amanda, Don't wish to burst your bubble however if you are health conscience don't use a microwave. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It changes the composition of your food. If you choose to use one NEVER EVER HEAT IN PLASTIC EVEN IF THE PLASTIC STATES SAFE TO USE IN A MICROWAVE OVEN..IT IS NOT SAFE. There are toxins in the plastic that leaches into the food. I never use a microwave and people interested in health feel the same way. In years to come you'll see the dangers of using one. If you heat a glass of water in a microwave, cool it to room temperature and water a plant, the plant will die. I've studied microwave ovens and they are not safe and take the nutrients out of the food. To each their own. Just trying to help understand the dangers, nothing more. Yes, I know many many people who use them. I'm more interested in health than the convenience of using a microwave.
    Heartprints143

    Answer by Heartprints143 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • It depends on who made it and how well it was made. A typical microwave can last anywhere from 5 to 10 yrs and beyond.

    The cheap, small, countertop models won't last near as long as a brand name, large, expensive one will. With appliances you really do get what you pay for.

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • Microwaving plastics.....its supposedly because it releases dioxins......BUT....dioxins can only be formed with chlorine is combined with the kinds of high temperatures associated with waste incinerators, temperatures like 1,500 degrees F!!!


    The microwave and plastic is UNFOUNDED and an RUMOR.

    As for microwaved water, that one is also a false rumor. My daughter did that one for a science fair project. Two exact plants, two exact glasses, one microwaved and cooled, the other straight from the tap. NO DIFFERENCE in the plants.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • When I met my hubby he had an ancient one - seriously, it was really old, and it still works well. Our current one came with our house - we moved in here almost 8 years ago, and I know the previous owners didn't put it in - it was the ones before that. So it's got to be 12 years old or more - and it's working just as well as my mom's brand-new microwave. I do have to say though, it's an over-the-range one, with a fan (2 speeds) and light (2 settings) and it's a pain in the butt - I'd give anything to be able to switch to a counter-top model!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010