time for cereal?

my baby is turning 4 months old in 2 days. he has been sleeping through the night (10-11 hours) consistently sinnce he was 3 months old. before that, he would go 8 hours since he was about 2 1/2 months old. well, in the past few weeks, a few times a week he has been waking at night, unable to put himself back to sleep. and he has needed to be swaddled during the daytime naps to keep him down longer than 45 minutes. he never needed us at night, and not it seems as if we are backsliding at night. and last night he was obviously hungry so i fed him. he is breastfed and he tends to nap better on days he eats directly from the breast. on days i work, he gets bottled breastmilk, and had been getting 8oz at a time, which we are now increasing to 10 oz. since he is so much hungrier and we seem to be regressing, do you think it is time to start cereal? will this fill him up more?

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 7:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just because he was doing well doesn't mean something is missing now to get him back on track. he could be teething or going through a growth spurt. my 6mo started solids around 4mo, and nothing in her sleeping or eating habits has changed. you can try the solids during a calm period in the day and see if he'll take them. i was hoping my lo would go longer than an hour between nursings, but no. i'm lucky if i get 1 1/2 hour! she is usually very good about sleeping through the night, but every once in a while, she goes for like a week waking in the middle of the night for a nursing. i guess i'm one of those nurse-on-demand- mommies, but i stay at home. i say try it. can't hurt, and it is really fun to feed a baby!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I started both of my girls on cereal at 3-4 months because they did the same thing.. after sleeping all night for so long, milk just wasnt doing it for their bellies anymore. So I say start on cereal and watch them sleep all night again because the belly is full. :D
    lilmamma_of2

Answer by lilmamma_of2 at 8:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• THE BABYS PEDIATRICIAN IS THE BEST PERSON TO ASK, CAUSE THEY KNOW YOUR BABY MORE THEN CAFEMOM DOES. TALK TO THE BABYS PEDIATRICIAN - CAUSE MOST OF THEM WHEN YOU GO IN FOR THE 3 TO 4 MONTH CHECK UP WILL TELL YOU ITS OK, AND SOME WILL WAIT TILL AGE 6 MONTHS TO GIVE YOU THE GO AHEAD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I started both my kids on cereal, around 3-4 months, because they were hungry more. mix cereal in with the milk and put it in the bottle, just for a little while to see how it goes and if he still seems hungry then give him cereal directly from the bowel.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 10:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Yeah, I say ask the pediatrician at the next appointment. If you want to try it though, it shouldn't hurt. I don't know about putting it in the bottle though only because they say that is a bad habit to get into. Babies tend to get overweight if they are fed solids through a bottle.
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 10:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I started all 3 of my kids on cereal before 3 months. With our last, he wouldn't take it from the bottle, so I was spoon feeding him by 3 mo. That kid was born to eat! Now, at one year, any time I open the fridge he gets excited!
    BTW - if YOU feel that its time then you are ok. It never hurts to trust YOUR instinct when it comes to your child. Its what us mommies do best!!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Babies tummies are not ready for solids like cereal until 6 months. I would STRONGLY urge you to wait until 6 months to start cereal. You should definitely at least consult his doctor first.
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• maybe he is teething instead? but he is not fussy during the day or act like he is pain during the day. what do you ladies think? could it be? and how do i prevent it from waking him, or how do i get him to go back to sleep with out creating bad habits?
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 10:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• You really shouldn't introduce any solids (including cereal) before six months. The cereal won't help your kiddo sleep any better. That's an old wives tale. :) Check out this article. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• maybe it won't help him sleep better, but he was definitely still hungry last night, and he already has a big appetite. on days i work, my husband is already giving him 8-10 oz bottles of breast milk!!!
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 1:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2008