How can we get our 3 1/2 year old to sleep by himself? My husband and I have tried EVERYTHING!!!

kmarinko

Asked by kmarinko at 10:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The advice I've seen is to lead him back to his own bed every time. My thoughts are to not insist that he stay in his bed but in his room. Make sure there is enough light in there so he isn't afraid- one or more nightlights.

Answer by Bmat at 10:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I had this problem with my daughter when she was 3. I gave her TV time at bed time, it comforted her and made her feel not alone. She still wants to sleep with me, but she sacrifaces it so that she can fall asleep to spongebob.
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Thnaks for the answers!

We do TV time before bed, but the problem with the tv is that if we don't turn it off he will force himself to stay awake, so unfortunatey that's not an option and is one of the reasons he doesn't have a tv in his bedroom!

kmarinko

Answer by kmarinko at 11:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Just be consistent with him. Do some sort of bedtime routine. And just put him back in his bed every time he gets up. He'll eventually understand that this is where he is suppose to sleep and he will sleep in his own bed. But consistency is the key. Letting him sleep with you sometime and trying to get him to sleep in his own bed others is just going to confuse him. Try some sort of white noise machine or soft music to lull him to sleep. I wouldn't do a TV kids don't sleep as soundly with a TV on.

collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my son is 3, and there aren't enough bedrooms for him to have his own. so he sleeps with me for now. when i put him to bed we watch a little tv and at the commercial i tell him he has to turn around and go to sleep now. i keep the tv on all night though, because i can't sleep without it. i used to have to lay with him until he fell asleep, but lately i have been leaving the room earlier, knowing he's not fully asleep yet. a few times he says "where are you going?" but i just leave without saying anything. and he stays quiet. and a few times i've put him to bed and tell him he can watch a little tv but at the commercial he has to go to sleep. and it works like a charm!
    Anonymous

• A few things - - an early bedtime (kids whoa re asleep earlier sleep longer and better than those with later bedtimes), and a consistent bedtime routine can go a long way in improving sleep habits. I'm not a fan of tv in bedrooms. Winding down before bed (rather than wearing out) will help get kids ready to go to sleep. The other thing that I found works with my 3 yr old - - she was wanting to read books at night after we tucked her in, and would get out of bed to turn the lights on - then never go to sleep. . . . LOL We switched her light switch for a bathroom fan timer - she gets 30 minutes to read and do puzzles in bed after we say goodnight, and when the lights go out, there's no turning them back on (we take the knob off). She feels like she has some control - because she gets to stay up "past" her bedtime (7pm), but she's still asleep between 7:30 and 8.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I have a journal about this - Check it out and let me know what you think! I wish you luck & God Bless!

How To Get Your Child To Sleep In Their Bed

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• ok I know this will sound corny but here I got. We have a good night "song" after teeth potty and a short story

"good night, sleep tight, dont let the bed bugs bite, mommy loves you (kisses), daddy love you two (kisses and a razberry on the cheek)" we alternate lines so I say the mommy part and daddy says the daddy part

we tuck him in and turn on this night light we got him that turns and makes "pictures" on the walls and ceiling. After that he's not aloud out of bed. and I check him and give him a kiss before I go to bed. It took some time but have a set ruitine really helped him. it took time and had to put him back in bed for ah=while but eventually it stuck and we do it every night now.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010