For Parents who FF and had a baby with reflux.

*For Starters, I don't want to hear about how the breast is best, so on and so forth... DON"T WANT TO HEAR IT!! Thank you!

Ok... with my first son... after six months of the regular good start, I finally realized he was having a problem with the formula... spit up ALOT and had a mild reflux, I switched him to soy.. No more problems.

My Second.. almost 2 weeks old.. isn't spitting up like my first did, but seems fussy after he eats... He's a good burper, but just doesn't seem happy.. Should I try the soy again?

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• did you talk to the pediatrician? a friend of mine tried the soy and it made her dd's fussiness and gassiness worse. i think her pediatrician then recommended just getting a different brand of formula. good luck :)
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 1:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My oldest daughter has severe reflux and needed to have surgery to correct it *which it never helped*. Anyhow she was on Nutramigin, and NO nothing helped her, not sitting upright, sleeping upright, formula's, breastmilk.. It all never helped with her. She has been on medicine since she was 2 weeks old for it and still is on meds for it even after her surgery and she is 4 years old now.

My 2nd DD is 5 months old and I could tell right off the bat that she was refluxing when she had her first bottle after she was born. I have her on the same medicine as her older sister, and she is also on Similac Allimentum, for the reflux and her ulcerative colitis! It has done wonders for her. I won't switch her off of this formula! We also have her elevated whenever she is asleep and it does work for her. Hope this has helped. But every child is different ! Good luck
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I know you don't want to hear this, but if there's not a medical reason your baby isn't getting breast milk, you might want to consider either nursing or pumping. In many cases, breast milk helps reflux a LOT. I don't know if soy will make a difference or not. I'd talk to the doctor, possibly use medication. Keep in mind that I'm not bashing you or judging you for using formula, just suggesting that mom's milk MIGHT help the situation. No pushing, just something to think about if you haven't already.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I had the same problem with my first only when I changed to soy the problem didn't stop. We had to get him on meds to stop the reflux. I breast feed my first for 3 months and stopped because I thought my milk was causing the reflux only to find out he had a problem at 8 months. With my second I breast feed and formula feed (went straight to soy). She is just on soy now and til this day no reflux problem.
    JDalila

Answer by JDalila at 2:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010