When will your doctor strip your membranes?

I am 39 weeks and 3 days. Last week Monday I was 1 cm dilated, 40% effaced, and +1 stationed. I return to the doctor today :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor did it at my 40 week appointment which was also my due date. It didn't work though I still didn't go into labor for another five days.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I only had it done with my 3rd baby. but it was also a differnt OB.

I was 38ish weeks but had been labouring unproductively for 5weeks before that.

many doctors DON;T.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• whoops...not sure where the caps came from.

but many dr's don't strip the membranes - its not really necessary. and sometimes HURTs.
    hypermamaz

• won't be letting my dr strip my membranes. there are risks, and i want my baby to choose his/her own bday.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It depends on your OB. My Dr was going to strip mine at 38 weeks rather than induce, but when he called the hospital he found out there were no open beds in the birthing center that morning, so he scheduled an induction for that evening (when there were some empty beds in the birth center).

Answer by missanc at 11:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Mine did it at 37 weeks and all it did was make me uncomfortable all weekend. I was already contracting and my BP was high so they wanted to try to get it going without drugs. Didn't work though, I ended up with a pit induction 2 weeks later which resulted in an emergency c-sec. So I say, let nature take care of it :) Good luck mama, your baby will be here soon one way or another!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Oh and it hurt like heck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I had it done with my second, the day before I went in for my induction. I was I was 39 weeks and 5 days. I know some drs won't do it and if they do they won't do it until your 40 weeks. My friend had hers stripped with her 3rd and she didn't go into labor until two days later. She was 40 weeks and 5 days. It was kind of an uncomfortable procedure... but I'm not a fan of getting checked at all either. It didn't hurt, but it wasn't enjoyable! lol! I'd say to just let your body do its thing. It's so much easier on you and the baby if you do. It's only a few more days (even thought I KNOW if feels like an eternity!)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• mine did not hurt when i got it done. it all depends on the doctor and how rough they 'sweep" after i got mine done, i went into labor 5 hours later
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on your doctor. I got mine done at 37 weeks... my water broke the night of the 2nd day... and had him 21 hours after my water broke!
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 4:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010