Weaning my twins from their bottle...help??? Need some best practices.

I have 14 month old twins and they love their bottle. Any suggestions on how to convert them to a sippy cup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, if they're using them to go to sleep at night (i.e. bottle right before bed) then I would change their routine first. At around 9 mo., my daughter started getting her last bottle, then a bath, then a book, then bed. That way they don't need the bottle to relax them to sleep. Once that is accomplished, go cold turkey. They're old enough now to understand if you tell them they're too old to be drinking milk from a bottle. Throw them away (or at least pack them up if you plan on using them again) and resist to urge to pull them back out. I would continue heating up the milk (as per usual) and continue whatever ritual you had regarding bottles before (I always sat down with my daughter and a blanket for milk time....we still do and she's 21 mo.) Just offer milk in a sippy cup instead. My daughter complained for about 3 days and then she was fine with the change. I just offered additional cheese and yogurt servings.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• just give them the sippy's! try a few different kinds. i breastfed mine for 15 months...i thought weaning would be tough but they were ready, because after two days they thought my breasts were just a big joke!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2010