Is my 26 month old son's speech behind

I am a first time mom and my son is a very busy guy has been from day one, but now he is talking like crazy and only saying half of words, ju for juice, ca for cat etc., says shoe and uh oh, oh no. We went to an audiologist and she said he did have mild hearing loss due to fluid in both ears so we went to the ENT dr and he said everything was clear and hearing was good. What do I do now, were his ear fluid filled for awhile and now they are not and that will help his speech, is his speech behind anyways, I cannot do early intervention until his ears are corrected but is there really anything wrong with his ears? Where do I go from here or do I not worry yet? Help!

leann225

Asked by leann225 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No - he is just fine. As long as he understands what you are telling him and you understand what he wants - there is no need to worry. Our society is too quick to jump - no need to force him into speech therapy so young - he is still a baby and is just fine! You are doing great - just limit his TV exposure and talk constantly to him.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• sounds like maybe he had some fluid behind his ears at the one appointment, but it drained by the time you went to the specialist.

he is probably fine. if you are worried about him finishing words, make sure you annuciate really well and focus on the end of words. but i think it will probably come in time. there are many kids just over two who don't even talk that much or that well. they say that reading is a big helper with language development.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If the ears no longer have fluid in them, then there is no issue. If you have ANY concerns, please call early intervention and get him an evaluation. The speech you are describing sounds like that of my 14 month old - and he's in speech therapy through early intervention because he was delayed. If there is a problem, the earlier you catch it, the quicker he will catch up. If you let it go until he's very far behind other kids his age it will take much longer.
    My son loves his speech therapist! He looks forward to it and it's mostly just play, focusing on speech. It's fun and education for him.

Answer by missanc at 12:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You might try a speech therapist but IMHO, people rush to that conclusion far too quckly these days. My son barely spoke at all, until he was around other chidlren. Then we moved and didn't have the play group anymore. He didn't talk much again until after he turned three. His pedicatrician said he spoke "gibberish", one more reason she is no longer our doctor, and that a speech therapist was needed. Not long after that misdiagnosis, he started talking and has not stopped.

Maybe you could work with him or get him into a playgroup. Being around other children works wonders. I just don't buy the story people like to throw out there about their children talking before age 2. I have yet to actually see that.
    Anonymous