22 month old not eating

My son will be 22 months in 7 days and for the past week he does not want to eat. He will pick off his meals here and there but he really is not eating enough. How do I get him to eat?

JDalila

Asked by JDalila at 11:50 AM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just keep offering healthy meals.. he will eat when he gets hungry enough
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Sometimes kids just don't eat. He'll eat when he's hungry. If he's drinking enough, and is acting normal, let him eat what he'll eat, don't push it. If he's acting ill (high fever, lethargic, vomiting, not drinking) then call the doctor. But if not eating much is the only problem - just wait, he'll be eating everything in sight soon enough!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. My kids go through phases like that all the time. I used to stress about it alot but after a while I realized that every one of my kids goes through phases like that. They usually greatly make up for it and act like they can't get enough to eat. :)
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my daughter never eats big meals. well....occassionally, but not very often. she is 19 mos. she use to eat REALLY well before she was one. however, her doctor said that their appetites tend to get smaller around one. he has not had a problem with her weight gain, so i think we are doing okay.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• There was a famous infant a child nutritionist at the university where I went to grad school. She said when you are looking at toddler nutrition look at what they eat over a month. You don't have to try and 'balance' their diet every day.

If this has just been going on for just a week I wouldn't worry yet as long as he isn't underweight, below the 3rd percentile. It's ok to give him some bad food. Of course you don't want to get him thinking that if he doesn't eat he will get the ice cream and cake.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Toddlers live off of fresh air and sunshine, I'm fairly serious when I say that. I don't know how my child has managed to gain weight and grow oover the past seven months because it seems to mee that he's eating a whole lot of nothing. So I decided that they live off of fresh air and sunshine.
    Anonymous