how can i get my 2 year old son to poop on the pottie??

he does real good on peein on pottie but i just can get hit to do the other

sweetmommy2011

Asked by sweetmommy2011 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had the same type of issues. I ended up just talking it up, saying things like-your going to drop the poopy off at their pool (LOL!) he loved that one. I finally ended up having to give him a suppository cuz he had backed himself up so much. I then stayed in the bathroom until he went and made him stay on the toilet. He was excited to see his poop cuz it looks like worms he said. LOL! We haven't had a problem since. It took about 3 months for all of this to happen too btw. Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I think the key is getting a couple of good experiences with it, whatever it takes. With my daughter, I was really aware of the times of day she was likely to go -- usually about 20 minutes after a meal was a good bet. Offer plenty of fiber to keep him as regular as possible. Then when it's a typical time for a BM, find something to entice him to sit on the potty and stay there -- books he likes, something he's only allowed to hold if he's sitting on the potty (for my daughter who's a bit quirky, it was my chapstick). Most likely he'll end up going while on there if he's distracted long enough... Then make a HUGE deal of it... call your significant other if you have one, or his grandparents, or do something special. Once this has happened a couple or few times, I'd bet he'd start letting you know he has to go (my daughter didn't tell us on purpose, but she'd get this look on her face and then say "lipstick" lol.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• One more thing-- some kids really will only poop in private. So if you've tried everything else, try leaving the room (but staying close enough that you can still chat with him).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010