Purely cosmetic.

A lot of people among the great circ debate bring up that circ is purely cosmetic and nothing cosmetic should be done with out that persons consent. What about the removal of scars after cleft lip operations of facial scaring from a dog bite in a small child or infant? Is scar removal to purely cosmetic? Obviously they are not the 'same' thing but the premise is. Cosmetic appeal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think circs are purely cosmetic, they are done mostly to convience mothers in the hygiene of their little ones. I personally think we shouldn't mess with what nature gave us, there is a reason for that foreskin to be there, protectiveness comes to mind. In any case good hygiene rituals is all that is needed to prevent any problems arising.

Answer by older at 12:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I had all three of my boys circ.ed because I used to work in daycare and knew 3 little boys who had to have it done when the were 2-4 yrs old. I didn't want to risk putting my child through that when they were old enough to know what was going on. Better safe than sorry.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 12:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• An uncirced penis is not hindering its purpose.I do think its more cosmetic than necessary. We decided to leave our son uncut and let him decide when he's older whether or not he wants it done. He's 8 and we've had 0 problems with it.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Okay.....Circumcision.....or as you guys love to say "Circs"..LOL... are done for health reasons. WHERE does this "cosmetic surgery" thing come from? I just don't know.......silly.
    Anonymous

• Where i'm from boys are not circumcised and doctors do not perform them without true medical reasons (very very rare) it is considered cosmetic surgery here.
    A cleft lip can actually influence the way a child speaks and eats so that is not a purely cosmetic repair and as far as i know scar removal is only done in extreme cases and its not just cosmetic then either.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2010