Not sure what to do about my 12 year old?

My son is 12 years old. A and B student. For the most part he is a good kid. There is an occasional back talking, and just the normal 12 year old attitude. Yesterday he decided to take a plastic bag and put baking soda in it, and claimed to all his friends that it was crack. In no way does my child see this sort of behavior from home. People always say, a child will model what he see's from his parents. He does not see such a thing at home and never has. So because of that i am clueless as to why he would do such a thing. I have asked him and he says it's cause he wanted to seem cooler in school. I aslo have a hard time believing that considering he has lots of friends and is quite socially active in school. My question to all of you is......what is a sufficient enough punishment for him? He has already been suspended from school for 2 days. Some sort of discipline needs to be established at home as well. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think that if this is the first problem you have had, dont go too hard on him. Twelve is a hard age, and he made a really stupid mistake. Hopefully, he can learn from this and make better choices from here out. If he is suspended from school, maybe take away all TV/Computer/video games for those two days so he is really bored! He has already been punished by the school, so I wouldn't add anything more unless he had repeated "decision making" problems.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• He was actually only suspended for 1 day. Yesterday at noon and today is a half day and he goes back to school tomorrow. I would like to know what some of your husbands think. He is my step son for about 9 years and i have only whooped his butt like twice. Maybe thats the problem! I feel he may be to old for that and my old back from sittin in the saddle isn't too good. This will be the second time this year he has been suspended...the first was disrespecting students and his teacher. He has seen this stuff from his real dad and i fight hard to get him right when he comes back from a visit with him. i want to whoop his butt or take him to juvi or boot camp but i don't want to ruin him. We have a 7 yr old son too and i am horrified to see this kind of example being set by the older one. I do not know how not to be too hard on him for this as one reply stated. Help from some of my road dog dads would be great!!!???
    krusecat22

Answer by krusecat22 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Well I would whup his ass!! Just joking, but my 12 year old girl Naiya, was suspended for a whole school week for picking a fight with a third grader. Here in New York, elementary is up to sixth grade. Anyways usually I don't give my kids dinner, I tell them that they have to make dinner themselves, and I take away all electronics, except for music, thats how my mom did it with me when I got in trouble.
    NatiMarti

Answer by NatiMarti at 11:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010