how to ge a co sleeping one year old into crib???

me and my daughter have been co sleeping for that past year and i love it, but my husband is ready for his wife back and i cant blame him. i just dont know how to do it! we lowered the crib to the lowest posisiton and tried last night. she slept for 40 mins and then woke up, i gave up b/c she has a cold and hasnt been sleeping well for the past few days b/c of a stuffy nose but when that goes away she really has to start in the crib. whats the best way to do it? should i make it a toddler bed or not yet?

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh she is also still nursing so that plays a factor to, she normally falls asleep nursing and wakes up nursing to,,, argh i think i might have screwed myself on this one,...
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I think she's too young for a toddler bed. When she's over her cold, I think you just decide you are going to do this, and you see it through. She will cry, which is probably the reason she is sleeping with you now. No mom likes to hear her baby cry, so just remember that crying is her number one way of getting what she wants, which is to sleep with you. I would make sure she is full and dry and I would put her to bed in her bed. If she cries for you, let her cry for a set lengh of time, say, 5 minutes. You then go into her room, check her diaper or whatever, lay her back down and leave the room. The next time, you wait longer to go back in, say 10 min. You don't want her to think that she has been abandoned. It might be a better idea to not even enter her room but to just speak to her from outside. You will have to remain calm and resolute. Just know that she will cry, and you will have to hear some of that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You may want to check out the book No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers and Preschoolers by Elizabeth Pantley. She addresses this very question in great detail.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You already had a great start! Do what you did already. The Pantley book will help, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I have written an article for this exact subject. Good for you for listening to your husband! You will be glad too!!

How To Get Your Child To Sleep In Their Own Bed

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• have you tried getting a nap routine in her own bed first?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2010