possible babysitting job not sure if i should or not..any suggestions?

I am a sahm mom and babysit sometimes. i have a almost 5yr old daughter and a baby due in June. i do have appointments that i have to go to but things have slowed down so i could babysit i guess. we are fixing to build onto our place so its going to get hectic. a woman called me about babysitting for her it would be part time as in 9hrs a week at $9 a hr due to they get a grant for a babysitter. she has 2 sons almost 6 and 9. the 6yr old has autism.she talked like he wasn't that bad to watch and they want someone to watch both kids because with the older brother around the younger one does so much better. it would be 2 days a week possibly and wouldnt always be every week. its tempting but i dont know what to do if i should or if i could and could handle it. i have never dealt with a child that has autism so that makes it iffy. so just looking for opinions/advice and info on someone with autism?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I babysat a 4 year old with Autism and he was easy to care for. Don't let the diagnosis scare you. There is a broad range of behavior in kids with Autism.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It depends on the behaviors/severity of the child with autism. We get a grant for respite care and they pay $9 for just babysitting for my one child with autism. Maybe tell her you would love to keep them one afternoon/day as a trial and see if they like it there. If it doesn't work out, you could just tell her that you aren't used to older kids and think they were just bored. And if it does work out then . . . you'll get some extra money.

Answer by missanc at 12:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Since it is a couple days a week you can schedule your appointments for the other days. Perhaps you can try it for a month and see how it works out, being up front with the mom that that's what you are thinking of.

Answer by Bmat at 12:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Iif you can handle the extra work in your later months of pregnancy, I say go for it. Babysitting is great part time. Ive done it full time and it got to be a bit to much, for me it did anyway. I think you can balance. GL.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• yes i would be getting paid for 1 child not the both of them and previous poster u are right its a grant for respite care. she talked like the youngest son was not all that bad so i am not letting it scare me that much that he does have autism. she is suppose to call back on friday for us to talk some more and possibly meet. she said if i was interested and wanted to do it then great and if not she understood. i just dont know how much her boys would like it here. i live in small place and i have a girl and tons of girl toys so they might be bored, i don't know. and as for it being part time i don't know how long it would last i guess as long as everything was fine then it would be till i decided to quit or it would be a part time long term thing i am not sure on that yet.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I would have her bring the kids over for a dry run first, so you can see how you get along with them. If you think you can handle it, then go for it. The extra money will be a huge blessing!! I used to babysit part time and the money was great. I don't do it anymore because she needed someone full time and I can't do that.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I would talk to her and ask about trying it out for 2 weeks or so, no long term committments. You need to spend time with the boys and see if you think you can handle it, especially if you think you could handle it with your new baby, too. Hopefully you'll find that it works out, the extra $ would be great.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 1:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I would go for it. It seems like a great opportunity, and as long as you know what days they will be there during the week, you can always schedule appointments and errands on your off days. Autism doesn't necessarily mean the child will be very hard to take care of. In fact it may be easier. I have a friend who's son is autistic and he's very laid back and since developmentally he's a few years behind, he is easily entertained.
    Mandie2006

Answer by Mandie2006 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Where does she live? Would she take the boys to your house and pick them up?
    DandieMandie

Answer by DandieMandie at 10:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• they would come to my house and may have to ride the school bus to my house and the parents would pick them up.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2010