Start suing doctors for performing c-sections?

In the last 40 years our average c-section rate in this country has risen from 5% to over 30%, w/some hospitals & OBs w/rates as high as 80-90%.

There aren't enough characters allowed 2 explain the controversy of this topic.. U would have 2 have already done ur homework. Unfortunately, 4 most of us that have done our homework, it is already 2 late.

I read something online 2day...a (male) OB/GYN honestly states, "We don't get sued 4 doing cesareans, we get sued 4 not doing them".

My research has also led me 2 the information that only a small % of OBs have been sued 4 not performing a c-section & the majority of them also don't know another OB that had been sued for this. Clearly it's not just about the legality (as most women who r less than satisfied about their section will tell u), but if it were...

We should start suing them 4 performing unneccesary sections. We should find a way. If just 1 of us would start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine was medically necessary, so I'm not going to sign up. Good luck on your pursuit.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• What would you sue them for? I'm more than happy with my c-section, although I'm pretty sure that some of the women on here would have considered it "unnecessary". And I plan on having a 2nd c-section with the baby I'm carrying, due in July! I tend to listen to my dr about my medical decisions because I like and trust her. Maybe some women should put more consideration into who they are choosing as an OB if they don't like their views on medical practices.

Answer by missanc at 1:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• This would sound very inteligent if you actually used ENGLISH instead of the shorthand BS .

suing Drs for doing thier job is RIDICULOUS. a woman who is pregnant should have fullly educated herself PRIOR to giving birth to be able to IN CHARGE of her medical decisions. its not a Drs fault if she isnt
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My 2 c-sections were medically necessary, if my doc hadnt been watching how big my baby was it wouldve been really bad. My first baby weighed almost 11 lbs. So I would not be signing up.
    Anonymous

• Don't we have the choice to go into a C-section?! I know I had the option with my first and I denied it and was able to have a vaginal birth. I've had two successful vaginal births after that too. It's not like they can just whisk us off to the operating room without our permission.... and if a women doesn't know her options, then in all reality, that's her fault. There are PLENTY of resources out there even for the lower income.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• drs are sometimes impatient. and instead of them waiting for you to go thru labor and tehy get bored, they say..'OK C -SECTION TIME' followed by a stupid thng they make up... heart rate went down on baby blah blah.. they make up the stupidest shit! plus its faster and easier for them. medically nesesary is an excuse they give. i was once told i had to have a c section and i denied it and said my baby will be born fine! sure enough i was correct!!! she was healthy! doctors in my opinion now days are lazy! plus, they get paid more to do a c section.
    Anonymous

DITTO
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Are you kidding me? What happened to personal responsibility? YOU as a soon to be mother should research what kind of doctor your dealing with. YOU as a mother should tell them no, or at least demand thier reasoning for doing one.
    My mother today is still bitter about my first baby being a C section. I wasn't dialating and had gone through 10+ hours of induced labor already. I was PAST 40 weeks at this time. It wasn't my choice to have one, but I knew that I could lose my baby if not. Think about all the women in history that have died....all the things that go wrong in labor......don't you think one of those things was the lack of having that second method of birthing? I mean, If I were one of those women, long before C sections were available not only would my baby have died, but I would have too.
    I could have gone for more hourse, but c'mon...in 10 hours of labor and you dialate...it's time to do something else.
    Anonymous

• anon15 you sound like a teenager. sorry. I am glad your situation turned out well, I suspect you educated yourself before hand. Which is as it should be done.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• ***Mine was medically necessary, so I'm not going to sign up. Good luck on your pursuit.

Unfortunately, medical necessity is also the answer 4 the other 25-35% that aren't. This is a term used at the discretion of the doctor...Some accepted emergencies:
    - Ur baby is 2 big 2 pass safely through the vagina. (how do they know this? many woman have vbac'd babies larger than their 1st born by c-section)
    - The baby's buttocks or feet enter the birth canal first, instead of the head. This is called a breech position. (breech is not ALWAYS a medically necessary reason 2 section)
    - The baby's shoulder enters the birth canal first. This is called a transverse position.
    - There are problems w/ the placenta.
    - Labor is 2 slow/stops (again...slow for who? stops? are their women that have been pregnant 4ever?)
    - Umbilical cord problems
    - Infection or birth defect
    - Twins (since when did birthing twins become a surgical event?)
    Anonymous