• In the Spotlight:

Anyone else have a tongue tied baby?

I am just so curious, did your doctor's snip it? Mine wont unless she develops speech problems later on in life. Wouldn't you rather get it done and over with now vs. when they are older and it's more traumatic?

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess it depends. If you are breastfeeding and it's causing problems with that I'd DEMAND to get it done now. But I'd RATHER get it done now either way, so it wouldn't be as traumatic.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 1:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I talked to 3 different doctors because she was having a hard time eating at first when she was a newbie and so we switched her to the bottle and all the nurses kept saying she wasn't tongue tied so they didn't know what her problem was. But when she came home and was crying I noticed it.. Now she is 5 months old and they will NOT cut the darn thing!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I have known 4 tongue tied kids and 2 adults. Only one hasn't had it cut....he really needs it. All the others had it done when they were tiny, so they wouldn't have speech/eating issues to overcome later on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If you wanted to breastfeed and the hospital didn't fix her tongue I would sue that hospital. You would get a lot of publicity and the hospital would settle. You would win and get a lot of money.

I would have the surgery done now.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• "If you wanted to breastfeed and the hospital didn't fix her tongue I would sue that hospital. You would get a lot of publicity and the hospital would settle. You would win and get a lot of money.

I would have the surgery done now. "

AGREED!
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 2:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yes. My son is. I was born with it too.. they told me they would only snip it if it was affected him eating (and later if he has problems with his speech) why they don't go ahead and do it, I don't know! I was about 12 years old when I got mine cut and it HURT! That was after I spent all my years in elementary school in speech class. I had to learn how to pronounce certain things all over again. My cousin had it when he was born and they cut it without asking my aunt. My son is 5 months and I'm going to demand they do his...before he starts talking.
    I had to wait until it was my choice to have it done. I really wish mine would have been done when I was born. So my advice is, if you have a baby born with this, have it done as soon as possible.
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• 3 out of 4 of my kids were snipped within the first week. for some there was a drop or two of blood, for two they slept through the snip. it can interfere with the latch, so to wait is not the best idea.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• btw...i wouldn't call it surgery. my kids were snipped in our living room, you could do it yourself.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Thanks, I never called it a surgery though! Someone else did in the comments! She is already 5 months old too. I already posted that. I am NOT breastfeeding! She is formula fed, my doctors REFUSE to snip it unless it is interfering with her feeding (which it isn't now) and if she develops speech problems later on in life.

My question was specifically this :

" I am just so curious, did your doctor's snip it? Mine wont unless she develops speech problems later on in life. Wouldn't you rather get it done and over with now vs. when they are older and it's more traumatic? "
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• DD was born tongue tied and it was actually the LC who discovered it. The ENT was going to be at the hospital the next day and they asked if it was okay to have him take care of it before we were discharged. They basically said that it would be easier to do it when she was little, and it would help ease the pain with BF. It doesn't seem right that they won't "let" you do it.
    Anonymous