Hubby ignores kids when I'm gone - normal?

I do photography on the side so I was gone all day Sunday on shoots. I come home at 7 or 8 pm to him playing Xbox and the kids in pj's. He had not once, all day, looked at the kids or fed them! Not once! The youngest is 5 yrs old the oldest is 13. I do not think that when daddy is home that the 13 yr old should have to care for the little ones and I do NOT allow my 13 yr old to use the stove so he was unable to cook a meal. Basically they ate crackers all day. Is this normal man behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's normal, but it may be a good way to use this as a tool for the 13 year old. Earn a little money on the side? Or extra priveledges. The father? Lame. I would take the xbox and hide it, the games as well. However, I don't think it's worth leaving him over.
    zaccaro17

Answer by zaccaro17 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Aww hon I'm sorry this happened to your kids! No this is not typical,at least it shouldn't be! I'd jack his ass up so far he couldn't walk!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• No. That isn't normal behaviour. That is your husband NEGLECTING your children.
    That would not be tolerated at all by me. Those are his children. He needs to take responsibility and care for them.
    No, your 13 year old should not have to take care of the younger children. Your husband should be doing his job as a parent.

If that were my husband.. He either changes, or the kids and I are gone. There is no tolerating him neglecting our children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• No, that is not normal. When my husband is in charge of the kids he is generally Super Dad. It's almost as if he's outdoing himself trying to prove he can do the job as well as I do.

While my husband goes to extremes on the Super Dad gig, your husband's behavior, to me, is completely unacceptable.
    Anonymous

• I agree anon. I wish mine would strap on a cape himself.
    Anonymous

• normal to not be as great as mom, but not normal that he didn't feed them all day. that's ridiculous. you need to have a serious talk with him.
    Anonymous

• No. That is called neglect. My DH would NEVER do anything like that. If I was you, DH would be in a world of trouble. That is TOTALLY 100% inexcusable.

katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• While it isn't acceptable behaviour, some guys just don't rise to the challenge of fatherhood. However if you have a 13 yr old, together, then is this unusual? Did he used to be superdad and has changed, or has this been his behaviour all along? I hate those Xbox machines, they are bad news in our house too.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I'm sorry I was unclear myheart. He is only bio dad to the 5 yr old. My 2 oldest are my ex-husband's. And no, he's never been super dad.
    Anonymous

• Normal = wearing PJs all day. Not normal = not feeing the kids!! What's wrong w/ him? He can't get his ass up to feed them...thats disturbing.
    HaileyCass

Answer by HaileyCass at 3:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2010