I need advice please. Urgent question....

My 14 month old daughter has been acting a little off lately. 1. She has been very cranky and clingy. 2. She has had a fever for about 3 days now. 3. She hasn't been urinating as often as usual. Her diapers do not even feel wet at all. This has been going on for 2.5 days. She screams when she is trying to urinate, and is red inside of her vaginal area. She also had bad diarreah. We took her to the ER lastnight because we thought it might be a UTI, she's had one before. The Dr. said that the urine test came back normal, and that there was nothing wrong with her that they could find, and sent us home. This was after they took her temp and it read 101.6, yet they say nothing is wrong. What would you do. I'm in the process of pack to go to Texas Children's Hospital, to see if they can find something, but what I want to know is, have any of you had a similar experience? Or do you have an idea of what might be going on

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• this seems odd, but if she is teething a lot of things can happen to her body
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 1:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• how about your pediatricians office rather than an expensive hospital bill? is she drinking normally?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Well, you could treat it as a UTI or yeast infection and get her to eat probiotic yogurt and drink cranberry juice (pure, not cocktail) as much as possible. But 3 days of fever with the symptoms you describe sounds serious. I would get her to see someone else asap.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• yeah come to think of it my son had the squirts when he was teething sometimes. though that doesnt explain the dry diapers
    sati769leigh

• The ER doesn't do anything if it's not critical, and they only tested for one thing. Once that one thing comes clear they don't care.

Make an appointment with her Pedi as soon as you can. It could be an infection, it could be anything really. Take her to her pedi and get her tested.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Call your pedi and tell them about the fever, my guess would be that they'd see her today if she's been running a fever for that long. Good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• OP HERE: Thats the thing, I did call her pediatrician and told them everything that was going on. They told me not to bother coming in, that it would be better for us to go to the ER. We're about 6 hours away from home right now, because of my husbands job. Texas Children's Hospital is the best choice for us because the specialize. After the treatment we got lastnight from this local ER, I'd rather deal with someone that knows what they are doing.
    DD has never had any of these symptoms from teething before, we hardly know when she cuts a tooth thru until we check her mouth.
    We gave her Cranberry juice yesterday alternating with water, no milk because we didn't want to upset her stomach any. I think that the juice and the tylenol/motrin might be the cause of the diarreah? but I'll try the yogurt too.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE AGAIN: Also, she's drinking a little less than usual, still drinking enough not to be dehydrated tho. But she is also not eating well. She's become very picky. Like yesterday, I tried to give her a grilled cheese, she wouldn't even touch it, and she LOVES grilled cheeses. She not eating near as much as usual.... ;( I'm just so worried. I hate feeling so helpless when it comes to DD. She is also having her moments of being extremely tired, and then kinda being upbeat and laughing. Normally she is VERY happy all the time, and almost never wants to sleep. ;(
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound too bad. My best guess would be viral infection. Push fluids and give it a few more days. Temp of 101 doesn't sound too bad either. Means the body is fighting the infection itself. Let it continue. If still bad or getting worse in 2 or 3 days, then go to the doc.

She could also have a yeast infection which would burn when the urine hits it (hence the crying when urinating). Offer diaper rash creams or vaseline or aquaphor for form a thick barrier between the urine and skin (or as much as possible considering the area). Even just a diaper rash from the diahrra would make it very painful in that area.
    Anonymous

• has she had a vaccination lately? It could be a vax reaction
    Anonymous