Question for Full-time Working Moms

I am currently working three days a week in the evenings as a CNA at a nursing home in my area. It is stressful work as I am 23 weeks pregnant with my husband and my second child, but I love it. I am extremely unhappy with the facilty I'm at now and have been since July 2009. I just recently interviewed for a position at a hospital a little farther away, but would make me so much happier facility wise. The position is a little more demanding with some new tasks I will have to learn and a little more risky in terms of infectious diseases, etc. The hospital position is also full-time (something I'm not sure I can handle, but think would be worth a try). I am not in a position to be out of a job for any great length of time. What would you do?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 1:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Do what you have to do to support your family
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Pray about it for sure. Or keep looking for another part time position, other than where your working now.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 2:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I've had plenty of jobs I couldn't stand to support my family. We do what we have to do whether we like it or not. Having a job is a blessing right now so if I were in your shoes I would bide my time, have the baby, wait till the circumstances work more to my favor then look at changing jobs.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I do understand your point. However, the little amount of income I bring in hardly gets us by now, so I'm really worried about adding one more into that mix. The full-time pay would make us so much more comfortable. Not to mention, being per diem rigt now, I will not get paid for the 6 weeks I MUST take off for the new baby.
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 2:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Better pay, better facility...sounds like a no-brainer to me...

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If you would be happier, have steady employement, and a better work environment...well I personally would. Especially if I had more pay. As far as being a full time working mom...my son is happy and healthy. He is provided for and likes the roof over his head. Not to mention he kind of likes to eat and he really loves his toys. All those things are made possible by the fact that I am a working mother. Not working would put our family at risk for being financially unhealthy. That is an unacceptable circumstance. Decide what is acceptable and what is not. Working in a hostile environment in a facility that is less than good is not a good working situation. And at hospitals - they usually take very good universal health care precautions. I do both facilities and hospitals. I'm more afraid of what is at a facility. MRSA and VRE with employees who do not take precautions. Yuck.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I say if you have to than unfortunately you have to! I used to have to work 45 - 50 works while my SO worked the same amount! It is difficult, but in the long run it is what you & your family need. Congrats though, I wish you the best in terms of work & when your new baby comes!
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 9:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010