I am worried about my 7 month old..PLEASE HELP!!

My son is 7 months old almost 8 months old and he still has not started crawling..I am worried that he is gonna be behind in development...I can only put him on the ground some days not everyday cause i live with my family and we have a dog and tile floors so i have to do it on a day when we are just home and the dog can be put up..but i try to put him down there as much as possible and i just cant get him to crawl..please help and let me know when your little one(s) started crawling..Cause i am really worried..He does try to stand up tho!

JoshysMomma19

Asked by JoshysMomma19 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies do not have to crawl. Some just start walking and like you said, he is trying to stand up. Can he sit up? If so, then he is fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Some babies don't crawl until later so I wouldn't worry about that. Can you go into a room and close the door and just let him hang out on the floor without the dog?
    wanttoadopt0707

Answer by wanttoadopt0707 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my son is 8 & hlf months old and he hasnt started crawling yet either. the DR said more importantley is them getting better at sitting up on there own and then crawling will come. but you should be putting him on the floor and having tummy time as much as possible. put the dog in another room if you have to.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Your child does need floor time. Crawling is crucial to brain development it helps with the cross over motion. If for some reason you can't let him crawl, sit on the bed with him and teach him to touch opposite toes, play patty cake where you do more of a cross hand action....your left to his left, your right to his right. Eventually he will pick it up and do it with you. Make up songs for your games. Toss balls back and forth or bean bags.
    Anonymous

• Dont be worried I was in the exact same boat as your were. My son is now a year old. I just gave him alot of tummy time to help. I also did excersies to help strengthen his ab muscles. Give it time and I have noticed that boys tend to be a bit slower on things than girls are. Give it time time will only tell!

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 2:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• To those who said crawling is not important, it is, please check with any pediatric physical therapist or occupational therapist. They will tell you a lot of thier patients did not crawl properly.
    Anonymous

• A lot of babies are not crawling at this age! My baby is 7 /2 months and no where near crawling. She just had a complete developmental assessment (because she is considered at risk for developmental delays, she gets evaluated every 6 months). She scored at the 7-10 month range in all areas. So, if she is fine, your ds must be fine!
    My info says it may be a concern if they are not crawling at 12 months. Concerns at 7 months include not bearing weight on legs, head still flops back when you try to sit them up, stuff like that.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My DD started crawling at 9 1/2 mos, and DS at 11 mos! 7 mos is still young, I wouldn't worry. I would however, figure something out with the dog. He needs to be able to have access to the floor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Why worry? What does it matter when or if he crawls? You can't get all worried about every little milestone.

I have a 21 year old son. He had developmental delays. Did everything late. The experts thought he would never read. He learned when he was 12 and started reading adult books soon after. He is now in college. It didn't ask on the college application when did you crawl? When did you learn how to read?

Relax and enjoy your baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I don't think that's even considered behind. My daughters crawled around 8 months, no one was ever concerned.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2010