Does anyone have a new idea for giving up for lent? (mostly for Christians and those with Christian grounded answers)

I'm giving up ice cream

I'm giving up candy bars

it is the same old same old every year. I want to do something this year that will help me spiritually connect.

any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why not give up tv or radio unless it's christian.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Friend of mine gave up spending last year. Meaning, she paid for necessary expenses (utilities, anything under contract), canceled anything frivolous like Netflix, and didn't go out for anything - no coffee shop, no restaurants, no movies, no salon. She cooked every night and they spent weekends doing family things instead of everyone going their separate ways.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I mean fasting is fasting! You need to give up something as your sacrafice. I mean you can do all kinds of stuff for fasting. I love to read books and I am currently reading the new testament in 30 days and dropping all my other reading material. Good Luck

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 2:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I stopped giving things up for Lent years ago, especially seeing it is a man made rule of the Catholic Church. Instead, I try to do things for people to help make the world a better place. That is harder than giving up soda or candy or sweets.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• When I was christian one year I gave up meat. Another year I gave up nights out to work at a shelter serving food. I gave up going out for lunches one year and took all the money I saved to the shelter for abandoned GLBT teenagers.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I'm going to give up coffee. It was going to be caffeine in general but I get killer migraines without having some caffeine a day. And I love my starbucks coffee, so it will be a sacrifice for me.
    Anonymous

• How about giving up wanting one's own way? Getting SET on having things (the evening, a family outing, etc.) proceed according to one's own plan? So when things go awry there are no frustrated, disappointed or angry feelings clogging up our responses?

I expect that MANY mothers have lives so filled with devotion to children / family that they never even IMAGINE planning something to go the way they would like, so this idea would be moot for them !!

But if anyone finds that they DO fall prey to being self-centered in this way, perhaps Lent would be a nice opportunity to exercise the generosity muscle for a brief time, and gain some empowerment with that ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Ooh ! ddsunshine, I LIKE the reading spiritual books idea !

"Wherever two of more of you are gathered in His Name, there is Love" ... My husband and I could perhaps read aloud every evening ! Thank you for that suggestion!

And Alanaplus3, you have my admiration for really substantial self-purifying activities !! Wow!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I just want to point out Catholics are not the only ones who give things up for Lent.
    Anonymous

• "I stopped giving things up for Lent years ago, especially seeing it is a man made rule of the Catholic Church."

As a Catholic you are not required to give up anything for Lent, giving up something is a voluntary discipline that is designed to bring us closer to God.

http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent/faq.php

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2010