• In the Spotlight:

Calling the doctor...asking your religion?

I have some female problems that I need to take care of, however, this is a sensitive area and I need to change doctors do to religious reason and something he said to me.

I don't want to go through this again. What would be the best way to find out the position on certain issues a doctor might have or what he will do? Is a phone call to the reception out of line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are listing this as anonymous then more description as to what offended you would be nice to know so we could better "diagnose" what you need.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't ask the doctor's religion explicitly. I would ask about the policy that the previous doctor had that you feel strongly enoough to change practices over. Ie. Does this doctor support a woman's choice to use/not use birth control or does this doctor support the choice not to vaccinate... not 'Is the doctor Christian/Buddhist/Muslim/Jewish etc.' Really the information you need is not his religion, but how that affects his office policies, right?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You should absolutely find a dr that you are comfortable with and who is working WITH you. If know your diagnosis, research it on the net to find the procedcures or medication that you need, pick the procedure you like and call around to see which doctors do what procedures. Research also on the net the best websites for medical advice. If you call, you will remain anonymous and you will save alot of time. I hope this helps.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If you have friends or neighbors that you trust, that also share your religious beliefs, then I'm sure you could get some good doctor recommendations out of them.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Be aware that a doctor's religious affiliation may not end up having much to do with how he practices his profession, either. Example: He could be a lapsed Catholic who has no issue with handing out birth control.

And the staff might not know about his religious affiliation...inf act, they really SHOULDN'T know that as it's not work related.

How about asking about the procedure/treatment in question? Better yet, schedule a consultation and ask the questions directly of the doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You may be more comfortable with a female doctor. I find they are more sympathetic to one's personal values, even if they do not hold them personally.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I had a very similar situation. I had a doctor, who I saw for the first time, ask me about my spiritual beliefs. I was coming to see him because I wanted assistance for my ADHD symptoms. He looked at me and said, "Your not ADHD. Have you found Jesus? What church do you go to?" When I answered (and I should not have) he mocked my church! Needless to say that was my last visit. He basically said my issues were related to being a woman and not having Jesus. His perspective. Mine was he was an asshole and I'm not referring any friends to him anytime soon.  My response: I wrote a letter to him because as a professional he needs to know he was offensive and derserves the opportunity to make changes in his practice for future patients.  At least one would hope.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I know if you looking for a catholic doctor you can look for one that is part of the Order of St. Luke. Google the order in your city to see if there are any doctors near you that are members. That's how I found my doctor and she's great! Very sensitive to my faith (because she shares the same one) and has a holistic approach to healing.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010