Can you recommend a good dental insurance?

ilovenellie

Asked by ilovenellie at 2:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
  • There are very few real dental insurance plans. Most plans are just discount plans. When the company promotes free services like exams and cleanings you are really paying for those services in your monthly premiums. Another thing to watch for is whne they promote a low cost to you on crowns. The low cost is usually cheap metal and i have never know a dental lab to use anything less than semi precious metals. The next thing to be aware of is who takes your plan if you find one.

You'll probably get a lot of replies about AmeriPlan - it's not an insurance - it's a discount plan. Good luck finding a dentist that will take it - no one in my area takes it. Just be careful talking to people trying to sell you plans.  I have been in dental for more than 20 years - I have seen all kinds of scams and have heard the mis-leading statements made to patients about the plan. 

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 3:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Another thing - I was between patients in a dental office I used to work in - the front desk was on the phone with the "insurance company" The office manager asked me if I could talk to the insurance rep on the phone about the treatment plan for a patient because she was getting no where fast. This insurance rep was telling me that the patient didn't need the treatment. Finally I asked how much dental education they had and did they have a license to practice dentistry. They said they didn't have any. I then told them I had 5 years of college and I was licensed, so could they explain how they knew the patient didn't need the treatment since they were not qualified to diagnose.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 3:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010