My pup is getting pudgey!

We had to move into an apartment while we finished building our house.. so us and our three dogs are pretty much cramped!! Well I take the dogs for a walk in the morning and when I get home from work and then again before I go to bed.. My husbands takes them for a walk two times in the middle of the day, however my dachshund is getting big. She's gained 3 lbs in the last 4 months! Now, that doesn't seem like a lot but for a 10 lb dog, it's a major difference. Our house won't be finished for another 3 months. Is there any way to help her lose weight before we get to move in. Once we get a house, she can run outside all day, but right now, she is so limited. We play with toys, and I have her on a dog food for overweight dogs, but it's just getting worse and I dont want her to have back problems or anything! Help me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pets

• stop feeding her so much. if she's not burning off the calories she doesn't need to consume them. A lot of dachshunds also have thyroid issues, have you taken her to the vet? they also have a prescription diet (has to be prescribed by a vet) that sells at petsmart, for overweight dogs.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Measure the food out. Calories go for the same as it would for humans! She is getting plenty of activity. Go by what the guide on the back of the bag says and go from there.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 3:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Cut out people food if they get any. If you give dog treats you should cut back on that also because those treats are high in fat. Charlie bear dog treats only have 3 calories so you might look at those. Green beana make a good healthy snack for them. You can also cut back the amouth of dog food you feed them or switch them to a diet dog food
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Feed her less ,with less exercise her caloric demand is less. I'd cut back on 1/4 a cup a week until you see a change.

If she's not a puppy and more you can use a food formulated for heavy dogs

You're right to be concerned.. heavy dogs have issues
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 5:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2010