5yr old ATTITUDE

has anyone else have this happen, and how did you handle it?
my 5yr son last week received 2 awards (Accelerated Reader & Academic Achievement) now this week he's not listening to the teacher, he's poking other kids in class, acting silly and today he turned in incomplete work and when the teacher told him to go finish it up he said "I'm tired just take it." he has already lost his TV privileges and today he lost going to Jujitsu class and he's is going straight to bed after his homework, but he doesn't seem to be fazed.

northcarolinama

Asked by northcarolinama at 3:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• i thought he was bored in class too and not being challenged the first time this happened, (it just didn't take more then a day to correct lol) but since then he was placed in an accelerated program and the school works the kids at their own pace & individually. there are 2 reasons I took away the Jujitsu, mostly 1) it's his favorite that got to him more then the NO TV thing & 2) Daddy teaches it. he's already upset with him. no need to add to the fire. I do like the apologizing to the class thing, I'll have to talk it over with my hubby later.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 6:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I have never handled it, but I do think that was a very disrespectful thing to say to a person of authority. Maybe be a little more harsher. Make him write an apology letter to the teacher. What is his favorite thing to do? Play with? Take it. maybe grounded to his room with no toys, t.v. etc... Make sure that he knows that that attitude is not appreciated nor allowed in your house. I also could make him go in front of the class and make an apology to the class. That might put him back in his place.
    zaccaro17

Answer by zaccaro17 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Welcome to my boat :) LOL I have 2 DD's and my oldest (also just turned 5) is academically ahead of her classmates. i think some of it is bordem because they are smart and not challenged. Some teachers are willing to make harder (but not too hard to stress them) assignments. Also it is your choice but taking away his Jujitsu might not be the way to go. My DD gets worse without sports outlet. (She is awesome at soccer) and since putting her in soccer she calmed down the attitude a little. Of course she still gets the days where I could pull my hair out though LOl. The other day when we were talking about sharing with her sis I sent her to her room to think a while she stomped off and yelled "I'm not a baby anymore" -UNBELIEVABLE! So I know where your coming from... I am requesting you so add me and we can pass along tips LOL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 5:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010