Can you adopt if you've had CPS investigate you and the case was closed?

Long story short a couple years ago we had some neighbors we where not getting along with and they falsely claimed we where hitting our son. CPS came out and investigated. The case was closed after they visited our home as they did not find any evidence to support the claims.
Anyways we where hoping to adopt in the next couple years(as I have trouble conceiving). But I'm worried that this will block us from adopting. My husband says that since it was closed and they didn't find any evidence that it shouldn't even show up, I'm not so sure.
So my question is will this block us from adopting? Will it even show up since there was no abuse found?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Adoption

• They ask you on your application if you have ever been arrested or investigated for abuse. Be honest. We were told they look at each situation as it comes. So lets say 15 years ago you were arrested for driving drunk. Now you are in AA and married. You have a good job and have been sober for over a decade. Then they counsel you and help to determine if the pressure of rasing a child is risky for your sobriety. If they think not....you proceed. Same with allagations of abuse. You explain and they make a determination. Now convictions of specific crimes - that would be a much different story.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't think that it would be brought back up, however, it is possible. If the case was closed then I doubt it will keep you from adopting.
    Anonymous

• I would be upfront with the adoption agency stating the situation. If you don't act like you are trying to hide anything, it may make things go easier for you-I am pretty sure they do investigations to make sure. At least, I hope they do. Sorry you're going through that.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 3:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• They shouldn't hold it against you but to be honest every case worker is different. One may say that since there was nothing found that it ended there. Another may say where there's smoke there's fire. Regardless I'd be upfront with them. If county workers give you grief then I'd go to a private agency who will work for you. They'll be more flexible and open with you.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I agree that you should bring it up before they find out on their own. Do you have anything in writing saying that you were cleared? If so, just explain and show them that when you first talk to them. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It depends on the circumstances and agency requirements. I'd be sure to bring it up because if you don't, when they find it, they'll assume that you have something to hide. You don't, so be up front about it. Wish you well!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• We had the same thing happen, and it was closed. We were told that once a false claim is closed for 6 months, it is deleted in our state. I'm sure yours should be gone by now, too. You could always go in and ask them about it the status of your case, if it still there...
    Anonymous

• To lamgr8teful: Yes I believe I do still have the letters they sent telling us the case was closed.
    To everyone else: Thank you all for the answers. I seriously could not find anything about this when I searched around so was very confused. I think that you are right about being honest and upfront about it. Yes it could eliminate us but it would look better then not saying anything at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It shouldn't matter. The same thing happened to us except that dh left a bruise on ds cheek. DS had been cussing out his teachers and school & daycare calling them all b*tches. (we found out this was because of things happening at bm's house). DH had to attend parenting classes. County sheriff didn't do anything said he knew the difference between abuse & discipline. A year later my niece was placed with us and we adopted her. We also told the caseworker up front what happened & why before they asked us about it.

Just be honest with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• The difference between abuse and disclipline!. Hit a kid hard enough on the FACE that you leave a bruise!

OP: if the above poster can adopt it sounds like anyone can.
    Anonymous