How old should a child date?

my son is in 6th grade, his friends go on dates to a movie and I dont think hes ready for that at all. How old should he be before I allow him to date?

momm41979

Asked by momm41979 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• well i thin about age 13
    Anonymous

• "dates" are ridiculous at that age. tell him that adults use dating to find someone to marry...that might scare him and make him think his friends are lame lol!!!! I say they can go with a group of friends/group date once they're in HS...
    Anonymous

• cont from anon 57:....tell him he can date when he can drive and pay for the date himself lol!
    Anonymous

• I tell my boys that when they can drive her, they can date her .... They can't get their license until they are 16, and then they need to wait 6 months until they can take anyone thats not family as a passenger.
    I dont mind if they do a group thing, and meet a bunch of friends at somwhere like the movies, even if it includes a girlfriend. But, a "date" is picking up a girl and taking her somewhere. ~ I'm NOT gonna drive them!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Group outings will be allowed earlier.

But official dates and girlfriends and boyfriends will not be condoned until their 16.
    Anonymous

• my kids arent allowed to date until they are 16. At 16 they can defend themselves a little bit more than a 13yo. I think dating is difficult for kids because kids can be so cruel. I think an older age is better, mentally and emotionally.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was not able to date till she was 16 ans she didn't. It's no wonder the pregnancy rate is so high among kids under 18. When they start dating at 12 or 13 it just puts a whole different spin on things for them.
    Parents who say their kids are mature enough to date at 13 just haven't been parents long enough. Believe me when they hit 18-20, most of you will be wondering if they will ever mature.
    There is just no reason a child should be dating at such a young age. Put your kids in sports when they are young and it will give them something to be proud of and to strive for excellence towards for years.. Keeps them healthy and in shape also. What the heck is wrong with just having friends, boys and girls?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Groups going together to activities - always with adult companionship! - is great fun. One-on-one dating is frankly pointless. The ONLY reason for such a date is to get to know someone to see if they will be a good life-companion. Seriously.

So, until they are 17 or 18 dating is merely an exercise in pretending you are older than you are, in playing out the romantic roles you have seen in thrilling movies, or worse yet it is an exercise in basking in how much someone else likes you (narcissistic much?) - yuck!

Face it, to be healthy a date is about getting to know someone. And before 18, there is "no there THERE" to get to know! Kids are still becoming themselves, via school subjects and reading, artistic and sports activities, relationships with family and pets, church & Scouts & community life.

Group "dating" is the way to go. WITH adults present !
    Our 2nd son had a blast doing a Prom double-date at the age of 18 !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• 16

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my ds is not even two yet, and my dh and i have already started talking about this! i think it really must depend a little on the child. my dh thinks b/c girls mature faster that they should be able to date sooner, but i disagree with that...he also says that b/c girls mature faster that it would be ok for a hs girl to date a college boy, but i disagree with that too! i think 6th grade is too young. i nearly cried when i found out a girl in our neighborhood considered herself to be my sons girlfriend and they are only 5 and 6!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010