• In the Spotlight:

Question about Grandma's babysitting............

My husbands parent's often watch our son when he is at school and I go somewhere where I can't take him. Hubby thinks that we should be really really on them to do things exactly the way we do them and follow our son's "at home" schedule. They way I see it, as long as his diaper is changed and he is fed and is safe and has some fun we shouldn't really stress about it to much.They away's do all these things. Am I just being to lenient?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope. I'm the same way....I'm just happy that someone is willing to watch the kids for however long it is. its rare that we need help and I'm not about to put rules and stuff out that would encourage them to say no when I ask for help again.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I agree. I am so happy that my family takes such good care of my 21-month-old son. They take care of the basics and they can do whatever they like. It has worked out so well that way. Then again, we are not a very "scheduled" family.
    pianonightstars

Answer by pianonightstars at 4:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• They love watching our son! They do it at least once a week even if I don't go anywhere!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 4:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• No you are being realistic, and want those grandparents to enjoy those kids as much as you do, kudos to you mom!!!

Answer by older at 4:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My mom & dad also watch our kids and I always try to communicate with them if I need something different. Like please don't let X have any sweets today due to his beating up on Y. Or we're going to stop at McDonalds for supper so please don't let them have any snacks to late. Otherwise I leave them be. They raised me & my siblings so they must have know what they were doing. LOL
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• As long as your son is happy and getting everything that he needs and isn't making you and your husband miserable, I say let them do their thing. As a PP said, it's realistic for there to be a difference in care style between parents and grandparents or anyone else who watches your kid.

There are things where I, personally, would put my foot down...like my son absolutely NEEDING his nap or he's a holy terror the rest of the day and for a few days afterwards...but only you can know your son and his needs, and as long as those needs are being met, they'll all have more fun if you give them some leniency. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I agree with you 100%. If the change in schedule becomes an issue for your child, then bring it up. But most kids are pretty flexible.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the kids. I know my kids are happier when they stay on schedule and my parents would just prefer to do things the way we do them for our kids happiness and their sanity. =) I would talk to the grandparents and just tell them that you don't personally care whether they stay on your schedule but that the kids might be more agreeable if they did. Then provide them with a written copy of a typical schedule for reference.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• grandparents ARE made to spoiled grandparents. It's kinda like a law or something. It's their right of passage I believe.
    JuneWestling

Answer by JuneWestling at 5:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i think you have the right attitude! i have a similar attitude even with babysitters. my mil way over spoils the kids...but she lives very far away and doesn't get to see them much. my parents are more structured when they spend more time with the kids...but if it is like 1x a month, then we all just have fun!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2010