Do you HATE the "R" word?

I went to bingo with my mom on Monday night and while we were sitting there, they switched the callers to a man that had never done it before. So he fumbled with the balls and was a little slower. This woman at the end of our table stood up and called him "retarded" countless amount of times. It pissed me off because those other people sitting around could have had disabled children. My kids aren't personally, but my best friends son has down syndrome and i hate the R word. So I didn't say anything beacuse it wasn't my place. Well within a time frame of 10 minutes, I heard that word more, than I had my entire life. So I looked down the table and said, "Hey. I don't want to hear that word again. You need to be more adult and use big people words. Don't say that again while I'm sitting at this table".. so she shut up.. But once it was over, and we were walking to our car, she screamed it at me until I drove away. Was I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm surprised that they didn't ask her to leave. I don't know if I'd have yelled at her but I sure would have told someone in charge that it was very demeaning and I wouldn't support their BINGO unless they did something about her.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I don't mind people using it in a technical sense suggesting something is slowed down (i.e. a person's growth, the timing of your engine, etc). I also don't mind if it's an old person using it to describe someone who is delayed because "back in their" day "retarded" was the politically correct word for that.

BUT in your circumstance is obviously being thrown around as an insult; and I don't like that.
    Anonymous

• Ha! You're brave to say anything to anyone sooooo mentally unstable as to stand up in a crowded bingo hall and start yelling names like that. I probably would have told my mom that we needed to move to another table because I didn't want to be contaminated with the stupid sitting at the end of our table, loud enough for her to hear.
    Anonymous

• No. Honestly the word doesn't bother me. I have a slight learning disability and when I was younger it had been used even to describe me... Never did bother me. I learned early on the words are just that... words...

Also, this and other words being used in a way like you are describing, aren't offensive because they aren't being used against anyone... Sure, she was calling this guy a name, but would you be as upset if she had called him an idiot or stupid? Chances are you would have just labeled her a bitch and ignored it... This word is no different from any other.

Would it upset me had she addressed a disabled person that way? Maybe a little, but simply because this woman would be obviously ignorant. Not for any other reason. You also have to understand that if she is an older woman, that word wasn't taboo in her day. In fact it has only become so in recent years.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i would have knocked ya out. no one tells me what to say. If you dont like it, YOu should have left
    Anonymous

• The only "R" word I hate is rape...
    Anonymous

• Guess none of you have a child with a disability and have heard them called that to your face.Words can hurt.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I wasn't there so I don't know the tone of your voice. If you said it in a really condescending way, like a teacher would to her students, I think that would have been really rude. The word "retarded" doesn't bother me at all, I don't think it's offensive. It's just a word, I personally think people who get offended at that kind of thing take life too seriously. But if you had a problem with it you could have just told her politely that the word bothers you.
    Anonymous

• I don't mind if the word is used in a technical context, but to use it as an insult is just infuriating to me! I have a child with a disability, and even he knows not to use the "R" word in an insulting manner! I feel using profanity, and other words such as the "R" word as an insult just shows your lack of maturity!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• That word has obviously been used in that context for many years and there is no law to make them stop. If you don't like the word, don't use it and teach your kids the same. I think all the new drama suddenly surrounding this word is overkill. If you had been offended at her being rude to someone just trying to do their job, that's fine, but sounds more like part of the new "movement" to make that word illegal.
    Anonymous