If you accidentally conceive while you're on the pill, does continuing to take the pill while your pregnant but dont know it potentially hurt the fetus?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• This is what I found on About.com

If you find out that you became pregnant while using the pill, it may be helpful to know that there is no conclusive evidence indicating that the pill will harm your baby in any way. Fetuses exposed to the pill during early pregnancy are not at increased risk for developing complications or birth defects. That being said, using the birth control pill while pregnant is not recommended, so if you think you could be pregnant, it may be a wise idea to stop taking the pills and use an alternate form of birth control, like condoms.

So it says there is no evidence that it will hurt the baby but you should stop taking them if you think you are pregnant.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• There are several factors that ply into this. It depends on how long you've been taking the BCP while pregnant, what type they are and many other things.

Taking BCP during the first 8 weeks CAN be harmful. Taking anything in the first 8 weeks can be harmful because all the organs begin forming and have taken their main form by 8 weeks pregnant but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will harm the baby in your specific case.

I'm actually quite suprised to read the PP's post because there have actually been several cases in which BCP was determined to be the cause of a deformatity. It may have not been studied in a case study, most likely because no women in her right mind would consent to this and because it would be unethical so it wouldn't be approved, but there have been many individual cases.

One case in particular was of a mother who took BCP for 4 months of her pregnancy because she didn't know she was PG...
    Anonymous

• ...because of the hormones in the BCP the baby was born with her intestines outside her body. She had 6 surgeries in the first month of life and is doing great now.

I don't say of this to scare.

It's just important to understand that the first trimester is THE MOST IMPORTANT time for development in pregnancy and anything introduced during that time can be harmful but with that being said many babies are born completely healthy after harmful things were introduced during their earliest stages of development.

GOOD LUCK MAMA! If your concerned I would definately talk to your OBGYN or Midwife. They may have some more information, advise or may do an ultra sound to check for possible issues.
    Anonymous

• I think it all depends on how far into the pregnancy you are taking them. I wouldn't be too worried, but it doesn't hurt to ask your dr. just in case. I think everything should be fine : )
    Anonymous

• Thats a good question and I like the answers. always wondered myself. i personally wouldnt use my BCP if I missed my period. I would have to wait for it to come again and even then there is a chance the baby would be exposed to the pill for 2 weeks. Azanne was concieved while on cholesterol medication but she was fine.
    Azanne

Answer by Azanne at 11:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010