Diaper Rash

My 9 month old has had diaper rash for about a week and I have been using Butt Paste and Desitin and neither seem to be doing the trick. Any suggestions? Thanks!

musikdoll

Asked by musikdoll at 4:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure your washing his little tooshie with warm water and a soft soap. then let him air out. make sure the diapers hes wearing is not letting his butt breathe. and instead of using diaper rash creams try aquafor or vaseline. they work the best.
    Anonymous

• im sorry i meant make sure the diapers he IS wearing is letting his butt breathe
    Anonymous

• What new foods did you start a week ago? Cut them out. =) I know my daughter got diaper rash every time she had citrus or strawberries before one year. To this day, if she misses a yogurt serving for more than two days she gets a diaper rash (if you've started dairy...yogurt is great for helping to keep a rash away). If the rash looks worse in the morning, start putting vaseline on before bed. Just remember that vaseline is a wetness barrier...it will keep wetness out but it will also keep wetness in so make sure baby is good and dry before you apply it. Finally, if ordinary diaper cream isn't helping, then it could be a diaper rash caused by yeast. An antifungal cream (vagasil, monistat, store brand), etc. will work better. Only apply it to the skin though...not internally.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I have to give you my advice that I learned from someone else.....My son also had diaper rash that kept on getting worse when I tried butt creams, and I tried them all! I was over at a friends house when I saw her putting a blow dryer to her baby's butt! I was like "what?". She said its for her diaper rash. Okay so I decided to try it. Of course you put it on low and warm and hold far away from baby butt but close enough to dry it out. I always test it out by every few seconds by putting my hand in front of his butt to make sure its not to hot. IT WORKED! Now I tried "air" drying him by letting him play on his belly with a few towels under him after bath time, however he managed to pee out sideways and completly miss the towel so that's why I tried the blow dryer. Give it a try and good luck! and of course be careful!
    HarpersMom715

Answer by HarpersMom715 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• leave a diaper off for a little while and let everything "air out" --that always worked for us, make sure you change their diaper right when it needs to be if possible, and if they've had anything different to eat lately it might be a reaction to that, so just be mindful of that too.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• When my daughter was small she would have terrible outbreaks of diaper rash. We tried everything even a prescription ointment. When she was potty trained the rash stopped but it showed up under her eyes. The dr. said she was allergic to dogs. No help. Finally, we changed drs. and the new one told us she has psoriasis. This was acurate.

The best ointment we used was Diaper Doo.
    Learner

Answer by Learner at 8:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the advice. :)
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 3:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010