What to do next?

Okay, my daughter is 21 mo. We recently moved to a new state, a new house and had a new baby (new house and new baby are both 2.5 mo. old). My daughter still takes a pacifier, still sleeps in a pack n play (due to the move) and we haven't started potty training. Can anyone suggest my next course of action? I'm thinking I should get her into her big girl bed (advice welcome here...she's been resistant to trying her big girl bed), then get rid of the pacifier and then start potty training. I just hate to do it all at once as she's had a lot of change to contend with recently. Please help. Thanks

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that is a lot to take all at once. i would wait until the house is all set up and her room is and its nice and homey... then i would have her do the big girl bed. next i would do potty training then the paci. if she is showing an interest in potty training i would pursue it regardless of her age, but if she isnt i wouldnt push it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Work on getting her in a bed. The pack n play isn't safe. I just read the ave age for potty training for girls is 39 months. She isn't old enough yet. Don't take the pacifier. Maybe she will outgrow the need on her own. According to most experts it isn't hurting anything.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I think you should first work on getting her into her own bed..potty training will probaly take alot more time and unless shes showing signs of being ready it'd be wasted time and energy. My son is 21 months too. He's been in his own bed since about 1 year however since we have also recently moved hes been sleeping in his pack and play and has been perfectly safe and content. He doesn't have his paci anymore..he gave that up at about 16 months. Give that time for her to let go.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 4:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• hmm I would say dont rush anything. My DD is 26 months and has been in a toddler bed for about 2 months now and I only switched her because she was able to climb in and out of her crib and almost broke her ankle one night. She did great at first but then was being resistant and kept getting out of bed but we just had to stick to it and make her lay down in it. Eventually she got used to it. My DD isn't potty trained and I probably wont begin trainig until this summer when she is almost 3 ( i am 8 months preggo so potty training right now would be pointless). DD also still takes the pacifier but only during sleep time. So maybe you can try that. at some point I am going to cut the end of the binky and see if she still wants it then. If not then I am just going t make her go cold turkey.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 4:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I've let my son do everything on his own. At 21 months, he was still in a crib, still had his paci (in bed only), wasn't potty trained, and baby #2 was due a month later. He went to the big boy bed on his own right at 2 1/2, and in the few months since, he's starting to protest wet/dirty diapers, so as soon as he can start recognizing the feeling that he has to go, we'll start working on potty training; but I've heard it's pretty useless to do it before they're ready. And he still has his paci (in bed) because I just don't see the sense in taking it away and causing him that much stress, though I've heard there that after a few nights it's usually fine.

If anything, I would maybe put her in a crib, baby in the pack-n-play (unless you prefer in bed with you), and let her do it in her own time. If you feel you have to do something, paci would probably be easiest, as long as you can deal with the crying for a few days.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2010