when did you start introducing a sippy cup? my dd is 8 months old and takes formula in a bottle. should i start it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is old enough to take water in a sippy. He should have water with his meals. He can eat regular food and doesn't need baby cereal and jar food. Just mash food with a fork and let him feed himself.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i started giving my daughter a sippy cup at like.... 7-8 months and she took on great. you may hve to try different shaped mouth pieces that your child likes best. you can give formula in a sippy if you want.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I started with a sippy cup at 5 mo. but she didn't really get anything out of it until closer to 7 mo. Start offering water in a sippy with meals and see how it goes. The earlier you start, the more proficient baby will be with the sippy and the easier it will be to get baby off of the bottle.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I started my DD at 7 months old with 1/2 juice and 1/2 water in a sippy cup she never had juice in a bottle EVER. I had my DD off a bottle by the time she was 14 months old. The earlier you start the easier it is on you.If she hasn't ever had something in a bottle then why start it in one if you want her to be on a cup.
    Anonymous

• You can start a sippy as soon as 6months.
    I started introducing it when my son was 11months. Switched fully when he was a year.
    However, with my daughter I will start at six months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I introduce sippy cups around 4 months, starting with formula. Once they get a little older we stop putting formula in the cup and stick with just water.
    Some might think it's too early but, it's not like we force it. We just put some formula in the cup and set it nearby while feeding baby cereal or when we as a family are eating meals. It gives our baby a chance to experiment with using a cup.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 5:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• we introduced a sippy cup with my son at around 4mos and he had it down by 6.5mo. He never had a bottle so I don't know if that makes a difference or not... I would introduce it now and give it time.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I started around 5-6 months - waiting longer makes it harder to transition IMO.
    Anonymous

• i started 6-7 months...and ive just recently started putting formula in it so he knows when he drinks, it aint play time. sometimes if i give him juice he decides to play with it a lot lol. it took buying a few different kinds before he really liked a certain one. he still eats cereal and jarred food and formula, he just isnt proficient enough with his hands and hasnt mastered the chewing for table foods.
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 10:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2010