So if my son has ADHD and we don't want to medicate does anyone know how we can get information on how to help him control his impulses?

Feeling lost....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-home-remedies

Cut out sugar wheat and milk products out of his diet
    Kevin trudeau has lots of good info in his book about ADHD and natural eliminating it.
    google home remedies or homeopathic medicine (all natural medicine does not effect the body in any way and has no bad side effects when taken properly.)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• When using a lot of all natural stuff, be careful. A lot of it has not been approved by the fda. So be careful with that. A little girl I knew acted like she had that. She had energy and was just bouncing off all the walls all the time. She read something about Red 40 (product/ coloring that makes food and candy red) She cut that out of her diet and there was a huge difference. She still gets hyper at times, but she is 8. Normal. Also maybe try a school sport or something to help guide his/her energy into a positive thing.
    zaccaro17

Answer by zaccaro17 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i do believe there is a group here on cafe mom for you! i have heard about cutting sugars, processed foods, artificial food colorings and flavorings, dairy and gluten. i do believe that routines and rigid structure can be very good...with lots of scheduled time for exercise. i heard on this site someone who saw a half ball at amazon for a child to sit on, so he could wiggle without disrupting the class! i would try any of these things before meds.
    good luck to you and your family!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It makes me very happy to see a mom wanting to at least try other methods before medication! Good luck to you. It seems like there are some really solid recommendations here. I hope you can gather much strength, patience, and peace of mind through this challenge!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• There is lots of information about diet and certainly that helps. There are also some research to suggest "nature" (as in the great outdoors) helps as well. Spending as much time with green areas and walking and exploring them. Omega Fish Oil has also been a big winner for many families as well as something about Gluten free diets. If my son were diagnosed I would do all of those and try EMDR. You would need to find a licensed psychotherapist who is certified in this technique. There has been some evidence to show this form of therapy helps reduce (but not cure) ADHD symptoms. All in all I understand your hesitation but still sometimes medication just can't be avoided.  The majority of parents never want to try their children on these medications and they can be expensive.  But trying those option listed above can help drastically even with medication.  I've seen it done.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2010