Do you know anyone who BFed their kids well into preschool and beyond?

I saw a trailer for the new Adam Sandler movie. In it, a little boy walks up to his mom and goes "Mommy, I want MILK!" and she just pops her boob out and goes "Aww, honey, okay, here you go." And then she breastfeeds the kid with him standing there! The husband goes "Yeah, we've been going strong for 48 months."

Obviously that's a very satirical and extreme representation of it, but it obviously happens or else they wouldn't be making fun of it, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i dont know anyone who is breast fed after 1 year.
    Anonymous

• There are a ton of people on here that BF that long.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My son is almost 3 and still BFs.
    Anonymous

• I've known of one person to go that long.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yes, I have known a couple of moms who breastfed that long. In many cultures, it is the rule and not the exception. Many people in our American culture have a lot of difficulty with the idea of breastfeeding, in general, let alone for an extended time.
    I'm happy to see that many more moms are choosing to breastfeed initially, at least. My hope is that nursing moms will continue for at least one year-ideally until the baby/toddler weans himself, or herself.
    There are many advantages for mom and baby, which are unique to breastfeeding. As a nurse, I do all that can to help, provide guidance, encouragement and support for breastfeeding. As women keep nursing proudly, little by little we help to desexualize the idea of breastfeeding and fewer people will have hangups and discomfort.
    There are tremendous emotional and psychological benefits to breastfeeding and that is an advantage for kids and moms who can keep it going!
    MaternityNurse

Answer by MaternityNurse at 5:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My 3 brothers and I all breastfed past 3 years old. My mom breastfed solid for 10 years! I can actually remember nursing on one side while my brother nursed on the other. Hehe, I know some of you are thinking "disgusting!" I don't think I'll breastfeed that long, but I want to go at least 2 years with my babies.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i think if you can get to 1 you are doing great... getting to 2 is fantastic, and if you feel comfortable and bub still wants to breastfeed, 3 is wonderful too... but i dont really like past that age... i dont no what it is... i just couldnt do it!!! i dont knock people that do though!!!!
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2010