What age did your kids stop taking a nap?

How old where you kids when they stopped taking a nap?

And how did you handle not getting your "down time" any more?

PhoenixFire

Asked by PhoenixFire at 5:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• #1 was 2
    #2 was about 4
    #3 was still taking several naps a week at 5 1/2
    #4 stopped around the time she turned 3. She's almost 4 and takes the occasional nap if I make her.
    With my oldest I made her go to her room for an hour of quit time because her brother and sister needed to nap and I needed to rest (the other two were 1 and an infant).
    Now my kids are all older and if I need to rest I just tell them to be quiet for an hour so I can nap. They can all entertain themselves and don't need me to watch them every second of the day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• About age 2-3
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 5:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My sister and brother did it around age 3. My sister-in-law however still makes my neice go to her room for some "quiet time" when her little sisters are taking a nap. In her room she can watch t.v.? or read a book or just color. But she does it by herself in her room. try it.
    zaccaro17

Answer by zaccaro17 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• all three were around 18months.

we do a 'quiet time' in the afternoons where everyone just sat down and read a book or did something quiet. of course the older 2 were in school when #3 was born, so its just the two of us most days.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• DS 1 was 5 years old

DS 2 was 3 1/2 years old.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• 5 & 4 when they started Kindergarten and pre-K
    Sahm.I.am

Answer by Sahm.I.am at 11:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• When they started the 1st grade. They all went to morning K so they all napped for about 2 hours in the afternoon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Somewhere around 3 years old. But, at first they are napping some days and not others because they are in that transition phase where they're ready to drop it, but they're still tired.

As far as how I handled not getting down time, well it turned out to be worth it to not have him nap. At that point a nap in the afternoon meant that he wouldn't go to bed at his normal 8:00 pm bedtime because he wasn't tired yet. But, then he'd wake up at the same time in the morning and he'd be cranky after not having enough night time sleep. If he didn't nap it meant he couldn't make it to bedtime and would be asleep by 7:00 pm and awake in the morning at his usual time.

I also had another baby at that point so having him nap and only having one child to tend to was kind of like a break.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2010