Do you really like being a SAHM?

Please be honest - does anyone really enjoy it 100%? I've been out of work for 8 months and am REALLY ready to go back to work. My 3 year old just hangs all over me all day when I try to do chores like cleaning and cooking, she doesn't even let me be when I go to the bathroom. I just think some women are good/meant to be SAHM and some are better at going to work.

HaileyCass

Asked by HaileyCass at 5:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I hated it. I'm currently home most of the day, but I am working on my masters in teaching, so I have observations in the morning (while my daughter is in preschool) and then I spend the afternoons reading the absurd amount of books and articles for my classes and going to class online. I'll be done in November and then if I have a new little one (we've been TTC for 15 months) I will stay home until the following fall and then hopefully get a regular teaching job. If I don't get pregnant, I will sub for the rest of the year unless there is an opening.

Honestly, it made me so lazy. I felt like I had all day, I'll get to it later about everything, including playing with my daughter, who entertains herself most of the day (she's four). Now that I'm crazy busy, I schedule my day and make sure I plan time to play uninterrupted with her and get the house clean.. Plus it's important for me to contribute to our family financially.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I LOVE it! I'm a nurse, and I hated working before I had my son. Yeah, I get bored, but I wouldn't dream of trading it. I consider my job of raising my son to be way more important than anything else I could be doing.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i really like it. i am glad i can do it. i can't imagine going to work each day, and still having the weight of all the household duties waiting for me! it is not easy, and it is not very rewarding...but it is the right choice for our family.
    i wonder, does anyone truly love their paying job 100%?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Best of luck in getting your degree. My daughter won't even play by herself in her playroom for more than 5 mins at a time. I don't understand why she hangs all over me b/c she doesn't do that to my husband. I want a job, I'm just not having any luck finding one at the time.
    HaileyCass

Answer by HaileyCass at 5:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I love it. i don't have to worry about daycare payments and other people raising my kids. we have a set schedule so the kids eat and sleep at the same time, and i have a cleaning schedule that works with their schedule, so i also have time for playing with my kids.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I love it but it's not for everyone!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I love it and wouldn't want it any other way. But that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. I never thought I wanted to be a SAHM until I became one. My friend always wanted to be a SAHM. Then she had kids and found out she hated being a SAHM so she went back to work. Everyone is different. I think there are perks to being a SAHM and there are perks to being a working mom.
    Anonymous

• there are days I climb the walls and want out. but then for the most part I LOVE IT.

but I've been home for 9 years...
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yeah, I really do like it.

It's not that every moment is amazing. I'd be happy to never see another poopie diaper ever again.

But, I find it so much more satisfying working for myself and my family, then working "for the man."
    Anonymous

• Honestly, no. I hate it. I feel like I am rotting in the house all the time.
    Anonymous