Have your parents ever disapproved of any of your relationships?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes. I was forbidden to see a certain guy I was dating after high school. We are currently very happily married (almost 3 years) with a beautiful baby boy (10 months). Everyone gets along great now. I think my parents were just scared to let their little girl go... I am the only girl in the family so looking back I can understand it.

GothicMommy I wasn't supposed to date black guys either. Where we live its more of a cultural thing. Old people around here say a cardinal wouldn't mate with a blue bird... Honestly to me I could care less who you date so don't bash me for writing that people!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 5:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Haha, of course! What father doesn't disapprove of all his daughter's boyfriends, especially while she's a teenager? My dad never cared much for my ex-husband either, and REALLY didn't want me to marry him. Looking back, I should have listened to him...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Oh yes!!! And the more my mom (my dad died when I was 10) hated the guy, the more I saw him :) Now I am married to the man of my dreams, (and my mom loves him too!)
    zaccaro17

Answer by zaccaro17 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yep. My Dh is 10 yrs older than I am. We got together when I was 16. But my mother is a romantic. After seeing that we really did have feelings for one another and that he's responsible she allowed us to date. Been married for 12 yrs. ;)
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• They disapproved of the one I'm in now. When we met I was 19 and he was 33. They've learned to love him. We're going on 8 years.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• No... when I first was interested in DH, my mom was uncomfortable with how old he was (12 years older than me). We didn't hook up 'til two years later, and my mom had a chance to get to know him and really liked him. I was one of those kids who trusted my mom's judgement and didn't feel comfortable getting into a relationship she thought was unwise.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yes, when I was younger they did. But it never stoped me from being with the guy.

Answer by louise2 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Oh yes, most boys/men are never good enough for any daddys little girl, same for boys. Mom has a hard time at first too LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My parents never let me date black boys. I did once any way and broke up with him because my older brothers found out and said either I dump him or they beat his ass.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2010