Does it bother you when people smoke in a public park?

I took my baby for a walk in the park today and there were four different people smoking. It's a small walking park with one circular road, so I had to either walk through the smoke or go somewhere else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Health

• that would bug the crap out of me... It may not be illegal but it should be. cigarette smoke kills and you shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public. If you want to kill yourself, fine. Don't do it around me or my family. Period. Definately agree with you 1000000%. I saw first hand what that crap does to people. My dad died of lung cancer 11 years ago on Friday... Tore my entire family apart. it's the most selfish thing anyone can do let alone doing it in public around other people. I don't care if people say they "can't quit" because my husband quit cold turkey and hasn't started back up, and it's been 5.5 years.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Ya I'm a non smoker and I also wish they would pass that people cant smoke in parks. Here in Iowa they have passed no smoking around schools, apartments, hospitals or in restaurants but people are still smoking in and around our parks too. I makes my DD's and I very sick (allergies to smoke) I do try to move elsewhere in the park since you really have no control over it and it's not passed as a law yet but ya it sucks!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 5:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• cigarettes kill and should be illegal

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Well, if it's not a no-smoking park, there's not much you can do legally, but I do believe smokers should display some common courtesy... For example, we were at a free concert in Golden Gate park a couple of months ago. Literally THOUSANDS of people, packed pretty tightly together. It was a daytime event, with lots of little kids running around. Stupid teenagers behind us (my friends and I, with our 3 kids) were smoking non-stop, blowing smoke in our kids' faces, throwing the butts on the ground. I finally told them to step the hell away from us. Mind you, at this point I myself would smoke on occasion, but I'd walk FAR away from everybody, so I wouldn't bother anybody. Like I said, common courtesy.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• A little off-tipic, but our OB took a teaching position while I was preggers, so we had to have our baby at the county hospital. I was so pissed the day we left with our brand new baby in tow, being rolled between 40 smokers who had just gotten out of the ER and didn't give a rat's ass about anyone's health, including our two-day old angel. No, I don't own the world or the great outdoors. But neither do you, joe camel.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It bothers me greatly, I make the choice not to smoke and not to have people that smoke around my family. So I think when I am out in public I should have the right to breath fresh air at a a park without inhaling secondhand smoke. I would rather not die from lung cancer. I have seen the sad ending of a life that way and I will do everything in my power to mae sure that my family is not taking in second hand smoke.
    Anonymous

• Sorry but the great outdoors is not your exclusive privilege.

Anonymous

• I don't own the world.
    Anonymous

• It bothers me when people smoke on playgrounds, but in an area that is not designed for children, no.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• No it doesnt bother me, as long as they put their butts in a trash can.
    Anonymous