Have you had any of your kids held back in school or has the school ever suggested it?

For those that HAVE; what are your feelings about it? Was it a positive thing or negative? How did your child react in the short run? And in the long run? would you do it again if given a choice?

_Kitty_kat_

Asked by _Kitty_kat_ at 5:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in

• every kid is different ... if you live in ohio (idk if it is national) parents do have the right to refuse the idea. you have to understand teh school then will not do a ton to make sure your child is successful when they told you to hold him/her back. i was held back in first grade and the only bad thing was on the first day of school some kid told me i flunked... lol.... besides that i was successful. had an "i can do it now" attitude and i am glad my mom did it .... that was back in 1985...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Its not actually the school, its me. My DD has not been doing well for the last 2.5 yrs- I just dont think she should be in the grade she is and the school is fighting me.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 9:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I don't know where you live, but in CA, I do know it's not up to you after kindergarten. It is up to the school. One thing to consider is that to receive special services (pull out help, tutors, etc. . . .) a student has to be a certain amount behind and if they don't go to the next grade, they will still struggle, but then won't be 2 years (or whatever it is) behind, kwim? It's stupid, but that's how it works. The school also has to consider your child's age. They won't allow 19 year old seniors in HS, so they have to consider that even down in early elementary, how old the kid will be when she graduates. They will probably tell you to go to Sylvan or something like that and get the extra help on your own.

We haven't had to deal with anything like this at home, but when I taught, there were always some students where this was an issue.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010